Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I bought a 2000 Excursion XLT close to 3 years ago. Ive

Customer Question
I bought a 2000...

I bought a 2000 Excursion XLT close to 3 years ago. Ive rebuilt the front end,installed a lot of banks diesel items such as 4" exhaust directly off the turbo, big hoss actuator, cold air intake,trans-command,fox shocks, and recently I installed a 100 hp plug in chip. since then I have had issues with the service engine soon light coming on. I would turn the key to the on position the light would come on momentarily then go out. Then it would come on again. some times it would go out and I could start the vehicle. Other times when the light came on the second time it would remain on. So I then turned the ignition off and repeated turning it on and the light would come on and clear itself and I was able to start it. I had no issues once I cranked it. These last two weeks I have had issues with it accelerating up to 1500 to 1800 rpms and dropping out. I changed oil and oil filter, had radiator flushed and filled w/new along w/ new thermostat, replaced serpentine belt and new idler pulley and replaced fuel filter. after replacing the fuel filter last weekend. It ran fine all weekend, but the service engine soon light would come on while driving and stay on. By Tuesday of this week it started running the way I described earlier. i bought it w/ 186000 miles. It now has 218000 miles. Please advise..

Mechanic's Assistant: What shape is the serpentine belt in? Is it cracked, shiny, or frayed? And have you ever replaced one?

Yes i did last weekend.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Excursion yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes i have done 90% of the work myself thus far. and will continue if it something i can fix.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The chip is the kind you plug into the module above the emergency brake. could the module be bad?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Ford
9/7/2017
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 8 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• Although I work here everyday, please understand it is not all day and rarely morning time.
  • To get the most from me and the best experience, please give me the best details you can.
  • The website will offer you a phone call option for more $$. Some I do fulfill and some I do not.
  • Thanks, let's get started.

Have you tried scanning it to see which codes are stored?

Ron, ASE Certified Technician