Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Locked the only set of keys in 2012 ford focus, way too many…

Customer Question
Locked the only set...

Locked the only set of keys in 2012 ford focus

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Has this ever happened before?

Way too many for warranty

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Focus yourself? What have you tried so far?

We are trying to use a slim jim

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Https://www.facebook.com/ThompsonHorseLot/videno

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Ford
O
9/7/2017
Ford Mechanic: A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE replied 11 months ago
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE

Below is the kit you will need to unlock the door. It is a long rod with a handle on one end a hook on the other. It also comes with a bladder that is used at the top rear corner of the door by the window to slightly push the top of the door out to allow the rod to reach into the vehicle to grab the inside release handle or the power door lock switch.

http://www.galls.com/bigeasy-glo-lockout-tool-kit?PMSRCE=GAPLA&gclid=Cj0KCQjwub7NBRDJARIsAP7wlT-77ERHxrMPzDKnh6MWf05tWac2aV6NKWlgD8qew7utsz4HgJUu7k8aAuKXEALw_wcB

We don't have access to that tool.
Are you there?

A slim jim will not work on your 2012 Focus. Ford has a lock bar set up on the door latch to prevent unlocking the door with a slim jim. The only other option is to use a coat hanger stretched out and untwisted at the hook end to reach in and hit the door lock switch or grab the inside door handle. Otherwise, you will need to call a lock smith to open the door.

Ford Mechanic: EricFromCT, Ford Technician replied 11 months ago
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician

Hello. Do you still need to get into your Focus?

If you do and do not have access to the lockout tool, you can find anything that is wedge shaped and put it in between the door and the body on the top of the door to wedge the two apart. A wood wedge works good. That you can find something you can reach in between the body and door to either push the door lock button or try and pull out the interior door handle.

Please note that customer satisfaction is my number one goal and rating this chat session 3 or more stars will keep the chat open for further follow up questions you may have. Click here for an example of how to rate . Also we can respond in this chat back and forth many times. I may be offline when you respond but I will promptly reply when I return.

Thank you for rating my assistance and for using Just Answer.

Hi. Just checking in to see how you are doing and if you have made progress or need more info. If so just respond back. Otherwise please take a quick moment to rate my assistance. Thank you.