6Bucs
6Bucs, Ford Senior Master
Experience:  Ford senior master tech, 18 years experience.
63005990

We have 2003 escape. 90 percent of the time it starts and we

Customer Question

We have 2003 escape. 90 percent of the time it starts and we drive off and really enjoy the ride. 10% of the time, after driving to destination after doing our business we can turn the key in the ignition, Plenty of power. all systems go except there is no cranking of the engine. We wait a few minutes, try again and starter cranks the engine and it starts normally and off we go. Can not trouble shoot the problem. Took it to our regular mechanic did not have a clue? .
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: Have tried starting in park and neutral. No go. Do not know what wheel lock is.
JA: Are you fixing your Escape yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No just trying to find the hoping it is something simple
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  6Bucs replied 1 month ago.
Hello and welcome to just answer. My name is James.
When the car is acting up, have you noticed the theft light flashing on the dash?
Do you have an aftermarket alarm installed?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no and no
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
James, sorry I have to go,
Expert:  6Bucs replied 1 month ago.

Since you don't hear a click noise from the starter and the problem is intermittent, it's recommended to replace the starter relay in the fuse panel under the hood.

If you don't have the owner's manual, I can post a diagram for you.

James.