davehop
davehop, Ford Technician
Experience:  Fully certified in all phases of automotive repair as recognized and certified by Ford Motor Company
14289869

The interior lights do not come on when the doors are opened

Customer Question

The interior lights do not come on when the doors are opened the radio keeps playing when the key is off and the door is opened
JA: Have you checked the vehicle's manual for this?
Customer: Yes no help
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2003 xlt expedition 4.6l
JA: Are you fixing your Expedition yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes checked all fuses, relays, wiring to VSM
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I hooked up a verus scan tool up and it shows the doors closed all the time and it would not communicate with the VSM I replaced the VSM and same issue
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Ford
Expert:  davehop replied 1 month ago.
Hello and welcome to JA......It sounds like one of your door ajar switches is sticking....do you have a can of brake cleaner or WD 40 ?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I've already tried the wd 40 did not work
I have already tried the wd40 truck and no luck and I have hooked the truck up to a verus scanner and it's says all doors are closed even when they're open could not get scanner to communicate with the VSM so I replaced it and still have the same problem
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I also tested the door switches to the VSM and they are functioning properly
Expert:  davehop replied 1 month ago.
Okay when you spray the WD-40 on the door latch I need you to open and close the door rapidly around 10 to 15 times that's going to work that WD-40 down into that latch if you only sprayed it in there it's not going to do anything you have to spray it in there and open and close the door very fast about 10 to 15 times also if the vcm is not communicating with your scan tool it's not going to give you the correct reading as far as if the doors are open or closed so you should just disregard that whole thing that you did because if you're not communicating with the scan tool it's not going to tell you the doors are open or closed
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have done the wd40 trick just as you described and it did not solve the problem
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Besides I probed the wires to the switch and the ground is ground and the striped wire is voltage with door open and goes to ground when door is closed
Expert:  davehop replied 1 month ago.
There's also the possibility that the VSM is not seeing the key off the key might be turning off but it might not be seeing key off so can you communicate with the new vcm with your scan tool? And if so can you read the parameter for the ignition switch position and see if it's reading that the key is in the off position?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No communication with new VSM I did replace the ignition switch and did not make a difference
Expert:  davehop replied 1 month ago.
It is possible that your scan tool does not communicate with the VSM.....have you checked all fuses? Did you have the VSM programmed to the vehicle?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Using a snap-on verus and yes
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The scanner gives me the option to select the VSM and once selected it tells me no communication
Expert:  davehop replied 1 month ago.
Check all the fuses in both fuse boxes
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
To my knowledge the 03 expedition only has 1 fuse box located in the right kick panel and all fuses checked good
Expert:  davehop replied 1 month ago.
There is also an under hood fuse box....it normally only has fuses for underhood stuff but sometimes there is a fuse that feeds circuits inside the vehicle
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Your going to have to be more specific of the location of this under hood fuse box. Because I can't find it
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Attached are under hood pics
Expert:  davehop replied 1 month ago.
If you can wait until tomorrow morning when I get back to work and I can look at the wiring schematic then I can advise you further
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Do you have anything else? Or are we done?
Expert:  davehop replied 1 month ago.
Sorry I got caught up today......if your scanner has the VSM as a selection but it won't communicate with it, then we need to check all powers and grounds at the VSM...there are three connectors on the VSM.... Connector A...the gray one...has a ground on pin #14...which is a black wire...Connector B...which is the green one...has power on pins # 1,3,8,14...they are in order...Dark Green...Red/White...Tan/White...Dark Blue/Orange...check these wires and let me know
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Already checked those and they all have voltage and or ground
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I may have figured this thing out
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't think the VSM is communicating with the body systems
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I can go through the instrument cluster module and see the data streams for door operation and it shows all 5 doors to be closed even if open I can send a door to ground (simulating that it's open) but still no response in the data stream
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Any suggestions as to why the signal is not being seen by the instrument cluster module?
Expert:  davehop replied 1 month ago.
The door ajar switches are all direct inputs to the vehicle security module or the VSM as it's referred to the vsn most likely is not sending those signals to the other modules in the vehicle this is why I had asked you before if you had the module programmed to the vehicle because sometimes when you install a module if it's not programmed to the vehicle it will not communicate with the other modules in the vehicle. Can you scan all the other modules in the vehicle successfully?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I called the local dealership and asked about programming the VSM they said it did not require programming that the module was plug and play
Expert:  davehop replied 1 month ago.
Let me get to work in the morning and I will look and see if that is actually true because as far as I know the security module had to be programmed in the last time I replaced one
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay
Expert:  davehop replied 1 month ago.
Don't worry we'll figure it out
Expert:  davehop replied 1 month ago.
As per the Ford shop manual prior to the removal of the vehicle security module it is necessary to upload module configuration information to a diagnostic tool this information then needs to be downloaded into the new module once installed for proper operation
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What do you do when the tool does not communicate with the module
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can a VSM from another 03 expedition be used?
Expert:  davehop replied 1 month ago.
but it still has to be programmed to your vehicle for it to be able to communicate with the other modules.
Expert:  davehop replied 1 month ago.
Think of it this way when you install any new module in a vehicle it has to be introduced to the other modules so it can get along with them and work together much like a kid showing up at another kids playground unless somebody introduces them they're not going to play well together so picture it that way
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
But if the you can't communicate with the module you can't doenload it
I pulled one from another vehicle that was working fine and it goes the same thing
No communication with the scan tool
Expert:  davehop replied 1 month ago.
Okay well then let's look at the common denominator in all of this... I don't know if your Snap-on tester is able to communicate with the VSM module I've never used that kind of a tester so I can't be one hundred percent certain that it will communicate with the security module and I quite honestly I would always say to use the factory tester I know you're probably not going to like that answer and it might not be the answer you were looking for but being a dealership technician for 32 plus years I've seen a lot of instances where these aftermarket scanners and aftermarket testers just can't perform some of the functions that the dealership Factory scan tool can
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Not sure how much confidence I have in the local dealership as they told me that there was no programming for if in the first place
Expert:  davehop replied 1 month ago.
Then bring it to a different Ford dealership but that module has to be programmed.... the old information has to be downloaded from the old module and programmed into the new module if the old module was shorted and the information could not be read from it then we have to do what's called the programmable module installation which is when we hook it up to the Ford diagnostic tester and then the internet we download the program that goes into the module which is when we hook it up to the Ford diagnostic tester and then the internet we download the program that goes into the module I definitely know that there's no aftermarket tested I can perform a program a module installation on a Ford module