Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

93 F250 4.9L Started having problems starting the truck then…

Customer Question
93 F250 4.9L Started having problems...
93 F250 4.9L
Started having problems starting the truck then the rough idle and sometimes have to gear down to low just to get enough power to climb a slight incline ..otherwise it would jerk and buck while excelleration. ..it would cold start but if shut off play he'll restarting
Then it started jumping time along with ignition knock ...we limped it this last time to our destination barely creeping along knocking like crazy but it never over heated nor did oil pressure drop but once shut off it has failed to start since ...it'll crank but no fire
Been told it's a cam sensor then been told this year doesn't have a cam sensor it's called something else...uuurrrggghhh
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Ford
9/6/2017
Ford Mechanic: Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH replied 11 months ago
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH

Hi, my name is ***** ***** is most likely a partially plugged cat converter in the exhaust, how many miles do you have on this?

Well over 200,000
Ford Mechanic: Edward, ASE Certified Technician replied 11 months ago
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Can you check spark at the plugs when cranking with a spark tester? and let me know if you have spark at the plugs when cranking?

If you have spark at the spark plugs, then try spraying some starting fluid directly into the air intake and see if it will run briefly or hit on starting fluid. Do you have a fuel pressure gauge by chance?

There is spark but will not run on starting fluid
Is time up?

No, this question will last as long as we respond to it. Alright if it has spark but will not hit on starting fluid, then I would check compression next. Should have around 120-130 psi compression on each cylinder.

How would one check that without a tester or can't take it anywhere

You would need a compression gauge to check it, that is the only way. You can get one from local auto parts store tool loaner program. If it has spark, and you can't get it to hit with starting fluid, I would check compression next to be sure the base engine is alright.