Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I have a 2013 ford escape titanium that just started having…

Customer Question
I have a 2013...

I have a 2013 ford escape titanium that just started having battery issues. I installed a new battery and in 2 days it was dead. I replaced the battery again and it lasted for 2 weeks. The amount of drain is inconsistent.

Mechanic's Assistant: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?

The battery was tested at Autozone and yes I have changed batteries.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Escape yourself? What have you tried so far?

Other than looking for obvious corrosion or lights remaining on, I haven't really checked anything.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The car was driven every day for 4 years with no problems. It sat for a few weeks and that is when the problem started.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Ford
9/6/2017
Ford Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 5 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

With what you have described here you have a parasitic drain/draw on your battery.This is caused by a fault with one of the electronics intermittently sticking on or shorting out like a relay sticking on, internal fault in the radio or another control unit,a switch shorting out or many other components that can cause this issue.What has to be done here is to have a parasitic drain/draw test performed to locate which component is causing this fault here.This needs to be done when the fault is occuring so you may have to have this done a few times until you can catch the component at fault.This requires a multi meter to do this testing.This can be done by you or someone who has this multi meter tool or a shop or dealer.A shop or dealer will charge anywhere from 1 to 3 hours labor to diagnose the fault then additional to repair it once the fault is located.Below is the procedure that needs followed to locate and repair this issue here.

O.k.,what needs done is to leave the key out of the vehicle with the windows rolled up and make sure everything is off with access to the battery.

Set the meter to amperage or milliamp and disconnect the negative cable from the battery.Put the leads in the multi meter the correct way (negative in negative and positive in the amperage or milliamp slot if equipped).

Connect one cable from the meter to the ground cable that was connected to the battery and the other lead to the ground terminal on the battery,this way the current is flowing through the multi meter.

After around 5 to 10 minutes see what the meter reads for a amperage draw.Normally you want to see less then 50 milliamp or less then .05 amp.

If you see over this amount of a battery draw/drain then your vehicle has an electrical component draining the battery.

From here you would remove one fuse at a time with the meter still in place and observe the reading on the meter until you come across one fuse that allows the draw to read below the 50 milliamp.This is the fuse or circuit that has the component on it that is drawing down the battery.Make sure when you remove one fuse if it is not the issue reinstall it and move to the next waiting a minute between each fuse removed to get an accurate reading.

Once you find the fuse or circuit its on then you would look on a wiring diagram to see what that fuse powers and unplug each of those components one at a time until you locate the component causing the draw then this component would need replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician