Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

03 crown victoria no brake light, No brake light. I checked

Customer Question
03 crown victoria no brake...
03 crown victoria no brake light
JA: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?
Customer: No brake light.
JA: Are you fixing your Crown Victoria yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I checked the fuse #19 and the brake safety switch
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No top light or bottom brake light
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/5/2017
Ford Mechanic: Mike V., Auto Service Technician replied 2 months ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

Do you have a test light?

Ok, first, can you check fuse #22 in the fuse box inside the car. This fuse supplies power to the brake light switch, then when the switch is pushed it provides power to fuse #19. So, please check #22 and let me know.

Thank you.

I just paid $28 and I'm waiting for someone to answer!!

I am working on it my friend. Can you see my reply?

Fuse 22 is hot

Ok, now these are set up a little differently. If it's possible, try pressing the brake and seeing if fuse #19 is powering up.

This is because the 3rd brake light is on a separate circuit then the others. This will tell us if the switch is getting power and that it's powering up the fuse.

Thanks.

When i pushed the brake pedal, fuse #19 is powered.

Ok

Is it safe to assume you replaced at least one bulb to make sure that's not the issue?

i did replaced the bulbs.
Hello!!

Ok

Thing about Ford is they run the brake lights through the multifunction switch on the steering column.

But, that third brake light doesn't go through there. It's got a direct circuit to the light.

So,the next step is to take the cover off the steering column and check for power when you press the brake pedal.

You should be able to locate a brown wire at the switch. That has to be checked for power when you press the brake. If there is power, then the following wires need to be tested to make sure there is power coming out of the switch to the brake lights.

Sorry, working on finding the next test on the wiring diagram.

I don't see it going through the switch. Not sure if it's the wiring diagram leaving it out or it doesn't run through it.

So I am going to say check the wiring in the trunk for breaks before you take the cover off the steering column. I think it's possible that harness is broken.

Brown wire at the switch??
Which switch?

Well, the wiring diagram is showing the brown wire as power off the brake light switch and going up into the turn signal switch. The problem I am having here is it doesn't show what wires the power should be coming out of to the brake lights. It's a common issue with most of these that the turn signal switch prevents the brake lights from working. BUT in this case the wiring diagram isn't backing me up. Plus that third brake light doesn't go through the signal switch so it should be working even though the others aren't.

This makes me think you have to have some broken wires on the way to the bulbs, all in the same harness.

The only other option here would be the SMJ fuse box is not working properly and it's not sending the power out to the lights even though #19 is hot. This could be tested if you can find the dark green wire coming out of the fuse box..

Top brake ligjt is good

Well ok then.

I suspect you are going to need the turn signal switch. So, take the cover off and check for power on the dark green wire at the switch. It should get power with the brakes pressed. Then I am going to need the other wire colors to figure out which ones are supposed to be going to the brake lights.

See, I am showing dark green wires out to the brake lights, a dark green wire feeding into the turn signal switch, but according to the diagram they are not coming from the t/s switch. So if you find a bunch of dark green wires off the switch, it's really going to help the cause a lot.

Ok, the green wire going to the switch is hot when i press the brake and the other wire is green and red and is hot all the time.
The wirs going to the back is orange and green, brown and black.

Ok

Now this is going to be a little tricky but not horrible.

Check the wires for power with the brake pressed going to the back, then though, put the signal on, left, then right to see if it makes the test light flash. Hopefully this will prove you have a couple with no power at any time and that the switch is the problem.

Let me know.

Bothe turn signal are working

I understand that but do you have a couple that just don't power up at all?

These are likely the brake light wires.

I lost you!!
Top brake light is working, parking light and turn signal are good!!
I replaced the safety switch two times.
Can we continue tomorow?
I have emergency.
Plz let me know.Thanks

lol, sorry. Like I said, the wiring diagram isn't useful for me here. You have power going into the switch like you should when you step on the brake. The wiring diagram isn't telling me which wires should have power coming out of the switch back to the brake lights. So I am looking to you to try and figure out if all the wires that should have power do and if you have any that don't get any power at all when pressing the brake pedal.

Basically I can't tell you which wires coming out of the turn signal switch should be sending power out to the brake lights. From here I am 99% sure you need a new t/s switch.

And no problem I am on from 7am to 7 pm eastern time.

Ok, thank you....back to you tomorrow.

Sounds good and best of luck with your emergency!

Hello, i would like to return to my questions.

I am here right now and will have to step out in a little bit, but only for a short time.

Can you tell me what color wires you have at the turn signal switch please? Just the colors so I can account for them on the wiring diagram.

Thanks

They are 20 wires going to the turn signal switch
I see the green and orange @ the turn signal switch going to the back and the green wire going to brake switch from the turn signal.
The turn signal wire going to the back is green and orange

Ok, I know that green is power to the t/s switch when the brake pedal is pushed.

Ok, now there should also be a orange/light blue, that should be the turn signal for the other side. Going to the back, then there should be a light green/white for one of the front signals and white/light blue for the other front signal

Violet/yellow and brown/white for the corning lamps.

These I have on the diagram for the stop lights. I have dark green going into the switch from the brake light switch, but I cannot tell which wires would be for the brake light. If you have any solid light green, can you check them for power when stepping on the brake pedal?

The Brown wire going to the back is for the parking li

Ok, I don't even have that wire, because we aren't looking at the tail lights or parking lights, that would be a different diagram for me.

The solid green wire is powered when i press on brake pedal and is going from fuse 19 to brake switch.

Well, yeah, but it's backwards in the sense that the solid green wire gets power because you are pushing the brake pedal and it goes from the brake switch, through fuse 19 to the turn signal switch.

I believe once it's in the turn signal switch, you have not got the power coming back out. This is why the brake lights don't come on. It's going in like it should, so we know the brake switch is working just fine. It's good all the way to the turn signal switch and then gone. I think you need to replace the T/S switch to solve this.

Otherwise 2 of the 20 wires should have power coming out when you press the brake pedal.

I replaced the T/S switch and the lighting box
I'm just going to take the car to another garage.

I wish I had known you had replaced the t/s switch already, I wouldn't have wasted all this time chasing it.

You have to have a break in the wiring someplace at this point.

We find the the problem, it was a relay.

Interesting, i don't show a single relay in the brake wiring diagram.

glad to hear you found it, but I am not sure why a relay isn't shown on the wiring diagram.

Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician