Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

The overflow coolant tank fills but does not recirculate to

radiator. What do I...
The overflow coolant tank fills but does not recirculate to radiator. What do I have to do?
JA: How many miles on the car? How has your mileage been lately?
Customer: 168,000 when I bought. Odometer is not working
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 1995 Ford Explorer 4.0 4x4
JA: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No. I had a new radiator installed by a shade tree....
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/5/2017
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Is the coolant not flowing through the engine at all?

Is the coolant reservoir over flowing and engine over heating?

Let me know,thanks Pete

The engine is not overheating, but the reservoir is well over half full. I've added to the radiator to fill but have not drained reservoir.

Is the issue here that the radiator is not pulling coolant from the reservoir at all when it needs to when it is low?

That is correct. It's as though there is a check valve letting fluid flow in only one direction

Make sure the tube from the radiator to the over flow tank is clean and clear for flow.If this is o.k. the only other thing I have seen cause this issue is the radiator cap.It is designed to open and close internally to allow flow in and out as needed and if the cap is the incorrect cap for your radiator or is not working it will cause this fault here.

Keep in mind your radiator will push fluid into the reservoir when the radiator is to full and it will also pull fluid from the reservoir when the radiator is low,but it wont do this properly unless the radiator cap is working properly.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Thank you very much! When the shops open I'll find the proper cap. You're the best, ***** ***** I appreciate all your time. You have 10 stars in my book!!

Your very welcome

Feel free to rate my help here or above as this is how I receive credit for my time.A 5 star rating ( highest ) is appreciated.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician
Pete, Auto Service Technician