Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Occasional power steering issue. Fluid level is fine. The…

Customer Question
Occasional power steering issue...

Occasional power steering issue. Fluid level is fine. The problem seems to be worse if I have to drive through a puddle. Serpentine belt is only about a year old . Alternator was replaced at the same time. 2002 Windstar SEL. 151,000 miles

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car?

151,000

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Windstar yourself? What have you tried so far?

I haven't tried anything yet. I`m trying to get an idea of what might be causing the issue before I take to mechanic

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Ford
9/1/2017
Ford Mechanic: Mike V., Auto Service Technician replied 10 months ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

Since the issue seems to happen when you go through a puddle, I would suspect it's possible the serp belt tensioner is weak. If this is the case and you get some water on the belt the belt can slip. Also, check for any damage to the splash shields under the engine and in the inner fenders. Generally water shouldn't get up there, but if it is and the tensioner is weak, it's going to slip. Even with a fairly new belt on there.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!

Do you have anymore questions for me?