Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

6 Bucs 2012 f250 6.7 engine. truck has the check engine on,

and the following codes. P20BA...
6 Bucs 2012 f250 6.7 engine. truck has the check engine on, and the following codes. P20BA, P026A, P0087. I changed fuel filters and drove the truck from 0 to 70mph it picks up and works fine, let speed drop to 65mph and step on the throttle it downshift and feel the power but a message on the display shows "reduce engine power" and it dies, pulled over and it does start right of way again. By the way I erased the codes before the run and the same codes came back.
9/1/2017
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• Although I work here everyday, please understand it is not all day and rarely morning time.
  • To get the most from me and the best experience, please give me the best details you can.
  • The website will offer you a phone call option for more $$. Some I do fulfill and some I do not.
  • Thanks, let's get started.

Have you done any diagnostics or repairs yet for these codes?

Making sure we do not overlap with the same info or steps.

All I did was changed fuel filters

Thanks,

20BA is normally a Reductant Heater And Sensor Assembly failure

026A is normally a charge air cooler temp sensor bad or the cooler is low on coolant

0087 is a fuel pressure related concern, sometimes bleeding will resolve this.

Are you planning to diagnose and repair yourself and need the Ford diag steps for these codes?

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
I would like the help to solve the issues thanks
Morning Chris, what will be the easy way to bleed any air in the fuel system.

Below are the links with the Ford method for fuel bleed.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y15bg8awf3cygl3/fuelbleed.pdf?dl=0

Chris, what is the normal pressure for the lift pump. I ran the truck with the scanner hook up, and the command/desire pressure is all over the place. It is not really constant it went as high as 89000 psi and at times it drop to 1500psi. any ideas.
Like I mentioned before the truck runs fine, the only time the "reduce engine power" with P0087 code shows up is when I am at constant 60mph and pretend I am going to pass another car accelerate trans downshift for more power and the message comes on with check engine light. Thanks

53-73 psi from the low pressure pump.

On the high side you must match the desired and actual and you need 5000 pis for the injectors to even open.

Chris, I bleed the fuel system and P0087 keeps coming back only when running at constant speed and stepping on the throttle to pass another vehicle, other than that it runs fine. What's the normal desired fuel pressure and the highest. I don't have any other codes. As far as the desired fuel pressure it range from 8000 up to 80000 which to me is way high, unless my scanner is misreading which I doubt never had any problems with my scanner.

On a stock setup under WOT the highest I have ever seen when diagnosing is 29,000 psi

Any ideas of why I am seeing pressure that high.

That has to be a pressure sensor reading wrong, wire concern to the sensor, or your scan tool is doing something wonky. The sensor is my pick.

Chris, I was able to connect a fuel gauge for the lift pump, the pressure is 63psi when I do a wot the pressure drops to 57psi. Is it consider normal? Where is the high fuel pressure sensor located
I was thinking that the lift pump should increase the pressure when I want more power, or at least keep pressure constant. Am I correct?

As long as the low pressure sides stays within 53-73 then it is doing its part.

• fuel volume control valve mounted to the top of the high-pressure fuel injection pump.
  • Fuel Rail Pressure (FRP) sensor mounted to the front of the LH fuel rail.
With the last info what's you opinion of what could be wrong with the fuel system. Is the hpfp going bad, or it could be that the sensor are sending wrong signal? No other codes only the P0087 keeps coming back.

If all the diag steps passed, then I am leaning most towards the FRP sensor bad or wire connector issue there.

Chris, FRO sensor changed but the high pressure still all over the place, sometimes it drops to 1500 psi and jumps back to 8000 then 10000 but it won't stay constant, it varies in the thousands. Have the steps to replace the HPFP just in case I decided to change. I have heard that this pumps go bad often with no other codes but p0087. Thanks

If you move the pressure sensor wiring does that change the sensor reading?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Chris wiggle the wires nothing change. Since I use this truck for work my boss suggested to change the HPFP they will pay half of the prize of the part. I don't know what else to check, if you have the procedure to replace the pump. Or any other suggestions. Thanks

I am out of ides at this point. Are you going to do the pump with the body on?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't understand the question Chris. The pump body or truck body. Is there different ways to do it or it is very difficult. I see the pump sits on the v valley. My concern is timing, and really looking for the easiest way to replace it. For what I can see not that easy.
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician