Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

2004 focus zx3 not charging. Replaced alternator, bur

2004 focus zx3 not...

2004 focus zx3 not charging. Replaced alternator, bur voltage shows flat. diagnostic says alternator providing charge

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you done a battery test? Has there been any change in headlight brightness?

Battery shows 11 volts. no change in brightness, no change in engine rpms when adding electrical loads

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Focus yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. Had replaced battery last week. alt light was on. changed alternator last night, brief period after startup , no charge light, less than 15 sec, light came on.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Returned to parts store, their meter showed no charge from new alternator

8/30/2017
eric remington

hello my name is ***** ***** you need to charge battery with a charger take to store and then hook up volt meter and tell me what reading you get

11 volts

yes it needs tobe 12.6 volts so you need to charge it

ok, if I do that will the alternator start to provide a charge?
Are you there?

it may be defective sometimes aftermarket alternators remanufactactured can be defect

you need to check the field wire input to the alternator and make sure thae battery wire at the alternator is getting current

How do I do this?

if its run cause a no charge situationning and only reading 11 volts (provided the battery is good) then its not charging I have seen bad batteries

I have seen bad batteries cause a no charge situation

c​an you access the leaddds to the alternator

I can see them, and I can get to them

how old is battery

do you have a volt meter test light

1 week

you should get it charged if it reads only 11 volts when off

I understand that. If I do that will the alternator begin to provide a charge?

can I have the vin number so I can tell you what wires to check...but test the battery wire first is that hot where did you get alternaotor from

no it will not charge....but it still needs to be done...your alternator is not a battery charger it needs to be fully charged when you get your other alternator istalled if the the red wire at alternator does nt lite up with test light then there is a fuse fusible link issue

when did first alternator die?

the alternator has to work very hard to charge a bettery back up from a low charge istuyation

3fafp31z24r106885 hot lead at battery shows 11 volts to ground. no key on
alternator tested flat output last night

people get a jump start put on their ac headlights stereo boom box and then next wekk alternator goes out cause it got fried...make sense

ok is red wire at alternator getting juice?

I'll have to check. Getting juice with key off?

I will look up field wire color that needs to be checked while vehicle running

Thanks

probably doesn't make a difference but if it does nt come on test light then turn key on and ck

recheck

so if red wire is getting juice and field wire getting juice, test while running, the alternator no good. battery is new so that not an issue.. I will tell you what color wire that is momentarily....field wire

How do I check the field wire output?
I check the red wire at the alternator case, to the battery ground (black term at battery . Ant the field wire is checked tha same way?
The red wire show 11 volts tested from the alternator case connector to the black wire at the battery

how many wires go into the electrical plug? and what are there colors...just comparing

ok so the big fuse not blown...so when did first alternator die

field wire ck with engine running

very rare that field wire missing current but still should be checked more thaqn likely alternator is defect....where did u buy it when did first one fail

three pin connector to alternator casing. red, blue gray. disconnect battery. red wire shows continuity to battery lug end of red battery wire key off. no cont from blue or grey. no cont from blue or grey to ground, key off, or key on.
first alternator died last week.tested no output yesterday. replaced today. no output after installation. will attempt to bench test next

t​he computer provides current to field wire while engine runs...trying to see which wire it is. of the three at least one should be hot..positive voltage

I​ sent the schematic if you are getting pos voltage while running to either these wires then alternator defect. plz rate me as my compensation depends on it and don't forget to charge battery to full state of charge. where did you purchase alternator?

ck all fuses fuse 10 in battery junction box

the red wire runs off fuse 10

the regulatgor is a problem of fords....that is built into alternator....now I remember

that is likely the issue....these rebuilt alternators don't replace them...piisses me off

the testing procedure in Mitchell seems to indicate that if you have no dtcs it is safe to assume that (provided big and little red wire are hot) the alternator is at fault. so computer would set a code if field wire inpiut missing that is what I'm getting from it. so ck and erase trouble codes.you can erase them and with everything hooked up ck for any codes as well but if u are getting field wire input and little and big red wire are hot then its an alternator probably the regulator...and I ve been doing this for over 30 years

don't forget to rate me thanks...eric

field wire gets power when engine running

eric remington

t​hank you for using just answer. If you can find a new one with a new or newer regulator...that would be good. or take it to a shop that specializes in alternator rebuilding...hard to find

eric remington
eric remington
eric remington