Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Just bought a F150 and the door ajar light keeps coming on…

Hi just bought a...

Hi just bought a F150 and the door ajar light keeps coming on for the rear left door.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the door switches?

Can't find the door switches looked at all for doors (crew cab)

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your F150?

2013

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I've tried to find the switches, but I think there might be door sensors??

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No just need a suggestion to try before a call the dealer. I am pretty mechanical and can do a lot of simple stuff myself.

8/28/2017
davehop
davehop, Ford Technician
Hello and welcome to JA.... If you have a can of brake clean or carburetor cleaner the thing I would recommend for you to do is to open all four doors and spray break or carburetor cleaner into the door latch itself for 5 seconds then open and close the door 10 times usually this will free up any sticking door ajar switch. Let me know if this works for you
the switch is inside the door latch mechanism???
I tried it twice and the light is still on. Does each door have separate fuses possibly?
No...try opening and closing the door little harder if need be spray more break clean in there
Sprayed it up a couple of more times and slammed very hard. Still on.
I repeatedly slammed very hard
Okay then the most likely concern you have is the door ajar switch itself is shorted and needs to be replaced how many miles do you have on your vehicle?
76K
Okay your vehicle is out of warranty so that would be a pay repair I don't know that the door ajar switch is available in the aftermarket so you may have to go back to the dealer to have that repair made unless you purchase the part and you install it yourself.
davehop
davehop, Ford Technician
Is there any special tools I need to replace it?
Also what is repair rated for hours at the dealer? 1 hour? 2 hour?
The dealership will most likely charge you 1.5 to 2.0 hours labor....depending on where you live, the labor rate can vary from $100 an hour to $200 an hour. The only tools needed would be a Phillips Head Screwdriver, a plastic trim tool and most likely a T30 or T40 torx socket to remove the door latch. Thank you for using JA.