Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Throttle control light (wrench) goes on on my 2011 e250 4.6…

Throttle control light (wrench) goes...
Throttle control light (wrench) goes on on my 2011 e250 4.6 .When speed goes to 45-50
rpms shoot to 3500 and doesnt want to go to
higher gear .Is this just a throttle body problem
or a transmission problem ? Thanks Mike C
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/24/2017
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, the dealer said there wasnt any codes stored? How many miles are on this engine?

215,000

no codes, what prompted the coils and plugs?

No idea .There was no check engine light on
The throttle control light possibly not on
the first time it was brought in

Ok typically when the wrench light comes on it is a throttle body fault, it may or may not set a diagnostic trouble code, but a way to check for faults using a scan tool is to check the difference between the elecrtonic throttle angle actual and the desired data input, they should be within 3 percent of each other. You can replace the throttle body as an assembly and clear codes and reset the keep alive memory and retest for the wrench light coming back on

Ok right now its with a transmission guy
who drove it on the highway with me and
said it was a transmission problem.But I dont want spend $1600 for a rebuilt tran
if I dont have to
He said he would put it on his diag machine to make sure.But Ford didnt have a clue

Need to check the electronic throttle body first, this can and will turn the wrench light on, if it is a trans concern, it should show some sort of shifting issue which you havent mentioned, only a wrench light on. Is it shifting incorrectly, slipping?

not going into third or fourth
or with difficulty into third

Ok well that is a big difference from just a wrench light on. This will be a broken overdrive servo piston clip. The clip breaks and floats into the valve body and jams the a shift valve open so it neutrals when it shifts into 4th, if you turn the od off it will downshift into 3rd gear. This is an in car repair that requires removing the valve body and removing the broken clip and replacing the od servo piston. If there is metal in the pan then there is more damage and a full blown overhaul would be needed.

Ok thanks sounds like thats what I
have to do.Thnx again Mike

Yes, big difference in a diagnosis with all the details. If you need more help please let me know. If I was helpful, please use the 5 stars above to leave a positive rating so I get credit for helping you.

HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Thank you!