davehop
davehop, Ford Technician
Experience:  Fully certified in all phases of automotive repair as recognized and certified by Ford Motor Company
14289869

2011 ford escape. Brake calipers sticking. replaced calipers

2011 ford escape . Brake calipers sticking. replaced calipers and pads. Still sticking.
JA: Are you fixing your Escape yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: considering changing the master cylinder. There appears to be a distribution block below the master cylinder. looking for infor on it yes I am performing the repairs myself
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I dont think so
Hello and welcome to JA....... If you open the bleeder screw on the rear caliper does the Brake Free up and allow the wheel to spin or does it stay stuck?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
that frees it up. It doesn't happen all the time. Most times after stopping at a traffic light. The brakes are slow to release
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
bought a new master cylinder, but noticed some type of distribution block below the master cylinder. I wasn't sure what it was for. Trying to get some info on it.
That is a distribution block that directs the fluid flow okay what I want you to do is reconnect the brake line back at the caliper pump the brakes again till they get stuck then I want you to disconnect the lines that come out of the master cylinder and see if the brake pedal freeze up we may have a restricted line somewhere or we may have a problem inside the distribution block so I just want to see I know we we disconnected the line at one end and it freed up the wheel so let's go all the way back to the other end and disconnected at the master cylinder and see if the same thing happens in the wheel gets freed up if it doesn't then we know that there's a restriction somewhere in between
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Are there any check valves in the distribution block that could be sticking?
No...there are only valves in the Hydraulic control unit for the ABS system.....by disconnecting the lines at the master cylinder, we can determine if the blockage is before or after the ABS unit
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Would the abs unit cause one side to stick worse than the other?
it could....there are quite a few valves inside the Hydraulic Control Unit.....how many miles are on your vehicle?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
About 115k. The problem is intermittent. Sometimes it's worse than others. Sometimes barely noticeable other times you feel a hesitation when you release the brake pedal before the car begins to roll an idle. And you can nearly feel the brakes releasing as the car starts to move more easily.
Have you ever had the brake fluid flushed? I know you probably bleed the system after you replace the calipers and the master cylinder but before all this happened was that the original brake fluid that was in the vehicle?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I've only owned the vehicle for about a year. So I don't know if it's ever been flushed before. I doubt it has. I will probably do that as a part of the master cylinder change.
Ok....hear me out....Brake Fluid is specifically to provide quite a few things ....first, as a hydraulic fluid...secondly, it absorbs heat generated by the friction of brake usage....thirdly...it absorbs moisture......as brake fluid ages, it's ability to absorb moisture decreases.....when this happens internal components of the brake system are prone to rust...... specifically the valves inside the Hydraulic Control Unit.....so with that being said.....here is my suggestion for your concern.....before I did anything with the fluid...I would drive the vehicle to an area where you can come to some panic stops....this will engage the antilock brakes.....do this quite a few times.....if any of the valves are sticking, this may free them up, and save you some $$$$.... If this helps, then I would go ahead and flush the brake fluid.....be very aggressive when you do this....if any of those valves are sticking, the more the the ABS engages, the more likely you are to free it up.
Please rate my answer to your question.....the rate tab is at the top of your screen.... I only get credit for helping you when you rate my answer....if you are not satisfied with my answer, or if you need to ask further questions, please continue to do so until you are satisfied. Thank You for using JA.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks for the help. You've definitely give me some more leads to track down that I had before. Thanks for your help.