Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Stopped for gas, when i started the engine the check engine

light came on and the...
stopped for gas, when i started the engine the check engine light came on and the air conditioning stopped cooling. Noticed that the engine idled rough and slower, stalled a couple of times. suspect the compressor froze and the clutch is engaged. Want to disconnect the clutch power to hopefully disengage and drive to help. (I am in nowhere left of nothing tennessee.
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: stays on.
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2004 station wagon V6
JA: Are you fixing your Station yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing. Want to disconnect the A/C clutch to see if that helps.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Don't care about the A/C cooling, just want to drive a coupla hundred miles without burning up the belt.
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/23/2017
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Can you tell me which model Ford vehicle this is here and what liter engine is in it?

Do you hear a belt squeal at all with this issue here?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete

3.0 V6, no squeal but the engine seems dragged down.
Can I disengage the clutch by disconnecting the two wires on the front of the compressor? Or remove the relay?

You can disable the clutch either way by either disconnecting the wires or pulling the ac clutch relay.If it still drags inspect and see if the belt is slipping around the ac compressor and if it is then the belt needs bypassed around the compressor with a smaller belt or a bypass pulley installed where the compressor is ( as some parts stores can get a bypass pulley) or the compressor replaced as this would be the only way it can be driven with the compressor locked up.

If the belt is not slipping around the ac compressor then this may not be an ac issue.The lack of power and check engine light may be another cause and can be disabling the ac from coming on as well.You would want to have the codes checked to see what codes are set with a compatible scan tool then those codes diagnosed to then locate and repair this fault here.You can usually get the fault codes read out by a local parts store at no charge to you.They usually cannot diagnose the fault but can give an idea of what is at fault needing repaired or replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Is the a/c relay the one nearest the battery, farthest on the right standing in front looking into the case?

Can you tell me the model station wagon this is?Is this a Ford Taurus?

2004 ford Taurus station wagon 3 liter V6 23,000 miles

Below is the layout of the under hood fuse/relay panel and it shows the location of the ac compressor relay.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2o1xxix89osx6d1/c-08-23.gif?dl=0

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Great, thanks! Hopefully they just pull out. Any tips on determining if it is slipping, other than squeal

Your welcome

Usually you can look at the pulley when the engine is running to see if it is moving or if the belt is just slipping around it to determine this or remove the belt and see if you can turn the pulley by hand.If you cannot then the compressor is locked up needing either replaced or bypassed.

Thanks Pete

Rain stopped, stepping out to look at the beast!

O.k.,if you need anything else let me know.

Thanks Pete

Your welcome

I would have the fuel system tested to see if there is an issue with it causing this fault here.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician
Thanks, health and happiness to you and yours!

Thanks and you and yours as well.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician