Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Shop pulled codes P0012 & P0022, they gave us 2 choices 1)

Shop pulled codes P0012...

Shop pulled codes P0012 & P0022

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?

They gave us 2 choices 1) replace phasers chains and related parts or 2) replace the engine

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2009 flex 4dr AWD LTD 145000 miles.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Flex yourself? What have you tried so far?

We chose the phasers chains and related parts.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

But they told us there were marks on 2 of the cam caps I think they said

8/21/2017
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician

Hi. Welcome to chat! My name is ***** ***** am currently dealer auto mechanic. I will attempt to assist you with your concern today.

If there are marks or visible scoring on the cam caps then the cylinder heads need to be replaced. Scoring of the cam caps can be from dirty oil, low grade oil filters, or metal or plastic debris that can be in the oil from a timing chain or chain guide wearing.

Please also note that customer satisfaction is my number one goal and rating this chat session 3 or more stars will keep the chat open for further follow up questions you may have. Click here for an example of how to rate .

Understand it's not one response and done. We can communicate back and forth many times.

1. I am an independent FACTORY DEALER auto mechanic and also work for Just Answer.

2. When you are pleased or happy with my assistance or efforts to help you, at the top of the screen please rate my efforts.

3. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to ask follow up questions.

Thank you for using Just Answer.

EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician
They didn't say anything about what we could do about the scoring. They said that they could do the timing stuff or put in a new engine. So we couldn't afford the new engine so we did the phasers chains and related stuff. We paid and I didn't get 4 blocks and the oil light started flashing on and off, my boyfriend checked the oil and it was 1 qt short. I thought that's not right. What kinda shop does that - sends a customer out with a quart short. Then within in 1 mile the check engine light came back on and then it started over heating. So I took it back and they kept putting us off and off for 10 days and now they say the only thing they can do is put a new engine in it and they want another $5500 to do it. Well during this ten days we went in to the shop and talked to the machanic and he said the oil pump is out. I think they screwed up and now we have to pay for it. Only we have no money.

Yeah sounds like the shop messed up. The codes were likely from low oil pressure to begin with. You should ask them to give some kind of discount since they diagnosed it incorrectly. At this point you are better off just replacing the engine or take it somewhere that can perhaps repair it correctly by replacing the oil pump. Sometimes if an engine is worn internally, even replacing the pump you still could have low oil pressure. Oil pressure check needs to be done at various ports of the engine to make sure the engine is not completely worn. And if it is it will need to be replaced.