Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2012 Ford Focus SEL. Car started but won't go

I have a 2012...

I have a 2012 Ford Focus SEL. Car started but won't go forward or reverse when I put it in gear. When in neutral or park, it won't rev over 1500 rpm's.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

Trasmission is original. I had it in for a recall (for transmission)over a year ago. How do I check the brake switch?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Focus yourself? What have you tried so far?

I

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I've done nothing except disconnect and reconnect the battery. I don't know if I'll be able to fix it myself or not.

Answered in 1 minute by:
8/21/2017
Gunvir Singh

Hello, let me review your request. Please stand by,

Do you feel the transmission engage when you put it in any gear?

No

Did the check engine light come on?

Do you have access to a scan tool to read codes?

no

Does the gear location gauge on the instrument cluster show the gear location?

Does it make any difference if the engine is cold or warmed up?

I didn't let it run long enough to warm up. One other thing, the steering wheel won't lock when I turn the key off (in Park).

The codes will need to be read but the symptoms you are experiencing point towards a TCM issue.

What is a TMC issue?

Transmission control module.

Thanks. I'll start looking for a tow.

You're welcome and good luck with your vehicle, And please don’t forget to rate my performance in the upper left corner otherwise i don’t get compensated. Thank you and have a blessed day.

Gunvir Singh