Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Just changed starter. Drove for a week. Now I have no power…

Just changed starter. Drove...

Just changed starter. Drove for a week. Now I have no power in the truck. Good charged battery.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

No electrical power

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2000 F-250 7.3 Diesel

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F250 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Checked Fuses

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I am not currently with the vehicle. Just trying to see what I should buy at the parts store before troublshooting

8/21/2017
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN

Hello and welcome!

My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question.

I am very sorry your having this issue with your vehicle.

I will try my best to answer all of your questions.

However, before we get started, please let me mention a few things.

1. If at any point you would like to speak on the phone, please feel free to request a phone call on your end and I can call you right away.

2. If you dont understand any technical terms or anything that I mention (component tests or theory or operation), please let me know and I will provide you with a more in debt explanation or answer.

3. Please understand that I am here to help you any way I can.

Do the headlights and dome lights all work?

What about the brake lights?

Are you sure all fuses are good?

No headlights or dome lights
I did not check the fuses myself but the person who was using my truck claimed the fuses were checked

What is the battery voltage at?

Are you sure the battery cables and connections clean and tight?

I am not going to be on line all night so I will post some information here for you in case I am off line when you reply back.

If the battery has a full charge on it and the cables are clean and tight double check all fuses AND THE FUSIBLE links. The fusible links are different from the fuses and are located at the starter relay under the hood. These supply power to the main fuses under the hood. So if the main fuses do not have power but the battery does, check the fusible links.

Good luck and let me know!

I will check when I get to the truck later tonight
I am going to stop at the parts store
Any advice on what to grab just in case?
Fuses, fusible link? Anything else? Do I need a multimeter? I have a light that shows if there is power or not...

A test light will work, but I would recommend to use a voltmeter. It is a better tool to use in this situation as it will tell you how much voltage there is in one specific spot.

I am glad I can help!

Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STARS or SMILEY FACES" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

I just ask that you allow time in between replies as I may be helping other customers or off line spending time with the family.

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

You still available to chat?

YES I am

I am at the truck all fuses are goo 12 volts at both sets of battery cables

And how many volts on the main fuses?

0

Ok, then chances are the fusible links are blown like I mentioned above. :)

Where are they?

Right at the starter relay like I mentioned above. :)

They look intact

You cant tell if they are faulty by looking at them. They burn up internally. You need to check power on either side of the fusible links with a test light or a voltmeter.

You did pickup a voltmeter at the store today correct?

What is the battery voltage at?

12v

Ok, then how many volts do you have going into the fuse block on the yellow wire?

How about at the red wire at the starter relay? (the wire coming from the battery) What is the voltage there?

I am going to log off for the night now as I am eastern time.

I will chat with you in the morning.

If you pinpoint the root cause, please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer.

If you need further help, please reply and I will be sure to respond back first thing in the morning.

Amedee

AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
AMEDEE
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN