Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 1974 Ford F100 390 V8 2 bbl carb. I have hard

I have a 1974...

I have a 1974 Ford F100 390 V8 2 bbl carb. I have hard starting issues after driving and then leave it parted for a week or so. I started it the other day for about 2 minutes and shut it off. After a week there is still fuel in the line. Sao I think I have a boiling issue after driving and I am not sure how to address this issue.

Mechanic's Assistant: When did you last fill the tank? And do you smell gasoline around the engine?

I filled the tank about 2 weeks ago and there is no gas smell around the engine.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am doing it myself. I have replaced the fuel pump, put in a check valve between the fuel pump and carb and installed a clear fuel filter ( so I could see fuel in line or not).

Answered in 1 minute by:
8/21/2017
roy
roy, import/domestic specialest

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

it sounds like the carb is leaking down internally when sitting. you have to prime and fill the carb before it will start.

when this happens, take off the air filter and push the throttle and see if you see fuel come out the passage for the accelerator pump.

Roy

I started and ran the truck for about 2 minutes a week ago then turned it off before it got to temp. A week later I checked and The fuel line still has fuel in it and the truck started right up. It seems to only be an issue when the run has run up to operating temp.

then it may be vapor lock from low fuel pressure. check the fuel pump pressure. it should be around 7 lbs

Roy

The fuel pump was replaced about 3 months ago.

still need to check it to be sure it is not bad.

OK, but this issue has been going on a while and the new fuel pump had no effect on it.

ok, but the pressure can be effected by hoses between the tank and the pump. low pressure will indicate that.

you still need to check for fuel in the carb as well.

Roy

OK, Thank You Much.

your welcome

PLease take a moment and rate my service 3 stars or better. that will allow the site to pay me for my efforts.

Roy

roy
roy, import/domestic specialest
Sir.

thank you