Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I have a 4.6 L 01 Ford F-150 2wd super crew cab truck with

183k miles on it. I...
I have a 4.6 L 01 Ford F-150 2wd super crew cab truck with 183k miles on it. I recently replaced the engine with a new 4.6 long block with the heads ported out. I replaced the engine due to excessive oil consumption and loss of power, esp going up a hill. I love the truck so I decided to replace the motor instead of getting rid of it thinking that would solve the problems that I was having. I pretty much replaced everything under the hood.
Delphi coil packs
motorcraft plugs
BBK alum. throttle body
Dorman intake manifold
water pump
power steering pump
MAF sensor
Throttle position sensor
Idle air control valve
fuel tank
fuel pump
fuel filter
cold air intake
and I also had a SCT programmer custom tune
Since replacing the engine, I've had pretty much the same problem with the loss of power going up hill ( from a slow speed, I can hold the gas pedal all the way to the floor and the truck won't go any faster) Also, going from a complete stop the truck will stall for a sec, then go, and the RPMs will jump up to 3000 rpms.
Checked the injections with a stethoscope and they are all firing.
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/20/2017
6Bucs
6Bucs, Ford Senior Master
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is James.
Are there any trouble codes in the PCM?
PO430 but that's only because I cut both catalytic converters off other than than, no
Also, I had a transmission mechanic drive the truck to rule out the possibility of it being the torque converter or transmission going out, he said from what he can tell they are both mechanically sound
When ac is on, there is a SIGNIFICANT drop in horsepower to the point that the passing gear will kick in twice when the cruise is on going down the interstate
Ah, ok thanks. I was curious about a possibly restricted cat converter. With a new MAF, have you been able to check the fuel pressure?
No not yet that was my next step. Any chances that it could be the fpdm? If so, is it located inside or outside of the fuel tank?
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Hello, your scan tool doesnt come up with any other codes? Can it run on demand tests Key on engine off and key on engine running?This is an automatic trans correct? Will it rev up and have power in park and just has no power in gear or while driving?

No other codes and yes it is a automatic transmission. It idles fine with no loss of power just when I drive it losses power especially starting off.

Ok and it had the same exact problem prior to replacing the engine? Are you still running the tuner program with the bigger throttle body etc? It will pass a Key on engine running test? It doesnt use a separate FPDM, the fuel pump is controlled by the PCM

Thanks for the fast reply. Yes it had the same problem prior to the the engine. Yes I'm still using the tuner program. The tuner will only run demand test with key on

Ok Im wondering if you are having a problem with the tuner, I realize it is needed with the larger throttle body and modifications. You should double check fuel pressure, even though its a new pump, if it leans off under a load it can cause a lack of power, since the cats are gone that eliminates that unless there is some other restriction in the exhaust system, which can be verified by loosening the exhaust and running the truck with an exhaust leak. See if the scan tool will verify what gear the transmission is in. If it thinks its in manual first it will not allow an upshift.

You can also revert the tuner to stock to see if that helps increase performance, Sometimes a tuner program becomes corrupt and needs to be reloaded.

I recently returned the tuner to stock to see if it was the tuner and there was still a lack of power. Everything it's doing now it was doing with the original engine and before the modifications

Ok, check fuel pressure,lower exhaust and also unplug the mass air flow sensor, I know you said its new but if there is an issue with it it will run better unplugged(but set codes)

Otherwise you will have to monitor sensor inputs and outputs

Ok thanks I'll do that. If none of that solves the problem, anything else I could try or check?

PCM would be last possibility.

Could a bad fuel injector be a possibility?

It would set lean codes or misfires if it was running to lean and rich codes if running too rich. You can run an injector cleaner through it or have a dealer run a relative injector flow test.

HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Thank you and good luck!

HDGENE
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans