Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

97 ford expedition I have air from the panel and it comes…

97 ford expedition I...

97 ford expedition I have air from the panel and it comes out where it suppose to when I change the switch, problem is when your driving and it get the rpm's up over 2000 it switches to defrost, when it gets back under 2000 rpm's it goes back to the original setting, whether it on the panel or floor etc. it doesn't do it when in park or neutral....

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have brake lights? Have any trouble codes popped up?

No codes, yes have brake lights

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Expedition yourself? What have you tried so far?

Fixed all the vacuum leaks, it still does it

8/20/2017
Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician

Hi, My name is Jay

You will need to remove your battery and check the plastic vacuum that goes to the vacuum canister on back of battery tray and to back side of tray. You will find the vacuum line brittle and most likely cracked near firewall. You can fix it with a small rubber vacuum line to replace bad plastic line.

I did that already

Make sure to not remove the vacuum check valve that is inline on small plastic vacuum line. What happens is battery acid will get on the line and eat holes in it. You may also want to check the vacuum check valve to see if it is working if you find no problems with vacuum lines. The check valve is designed to only work in one direction and not allow it to go in the other direction.

hang on I will check it for proper operation
is one end of it blue and its white/clear on the other end?
and its a tee?

Yes.

should you be able to blow through it?

Also make sure that if you had battery tray out you did not pinch hose to the small vacuum canister. This is what is used when you accelerate and keeps doors in correct position.

You should be able to blow through it only in one direction. Think of the air direction should flow toward motor and will not flow back away from motor.

The engine will pull air vacuum toward it and when you accelerate it should close and keep vacuum on vacuum canister side.

the one I have here you can suck or blow through it in any direction on all of the ports, I am assuming this is my problem then? Is that right?

Yes it is the problem. The engine will go to low vacuum on acceleration and will deplete vacuum in the a/c vacuum lines and cause doors to not hold position.

I will have to get a new one and if it solves my problem you are a big help, I will have to let you know at a later date, thanks

"I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help, you can reply back here -- I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you"

Jaybird61
I went to the parts store and got a vacuum check, it does the same thing the old one does....
to be sure I have the right one, its located in the engine compartment passenger side by the battery box, right???

Is the valve a possible delay valve? A delay valve will be slow pull one direction and easy in the other direction. A vacuum check valve will block one direction and free flow the other. What is the color of the valve you have?

its black, but I can blow or suck through all the ports just like the old one, is this a dealer item?

Is it black on one side and white or clear on the other? You may have a leaking control valve in dash controls. If it cannot hold vacuum then it will make a hissing noise when engine is running. Remove controls and check this next.

see if you can supply a vacuum to the inside controls from the check valve where engine side hooks up to see if you can hold a vacuum there?

ok, I'll try that, if it doesn't hold a vacuum do I need to take the whole dash apart to get to it?

No just the a/c control head comes out of dash.

ok, I'll try that

Okay