Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  Automotive Instructor at Palm Beach State College
93113249

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD 4 liter engine. Rear drum brakes.

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD 4 liter engine. Rear drum brakes. I've just replaced the rear axle seals. I want to adjust the rear drum brakes. Do both wheels need to be off the ground at the same time to do this.

Hi, My name is Jay

In order to do it correctly you will need the transmission in neutral with front wheels blocked from rolling and jack up both rear wheels so the axle can turn freely to adjust the rear brake shoes until you have a slight drag on the drum.

Let me know if you have any other questions for me?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
That's what I thought. I had the truck up in that manner, but I made one small mistake. I had the truck up and jack stands under each side of the axle. Because I put them so far out on each side of the axles it didn't leave me any room to get my screwdriver into the adjustment holes.

"I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help, you can reply back here -- I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you"