Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2004 Ford Explorer with 195,000 miles on it.

I have a 2004...

I have a 2004 Ford Explorer with 195,000 miles on it. Service engine light came on, went to Advance Auto and showed the P0193. I've researched the code and states it's the fuel pressure sensor code. I've had no stalling issues with the vehicle. In the past did have some hesitation and bucking with acceleration to pass, but has not occurred in a long time. Was wondering what the cost would be to fix it, or if I could reset it and see if it recurs. Just as a note, I have had a few other electrical glitches with the door ajar light/buzzer, and the interior lights. Didn't know if it could be an electrical problem.

Mechanic's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Mechanic's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require). Have you checked the vehicle's manual for this?

No.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?

Haven't tried anything. I'm a female and have never really tried fixing anything as my husband would do things like that, but not sure if his health now, would allow him to do it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

We don't depend on the car as we have another to use. But this car has been so good to us, I've been using it just to go back and forth to work since it's paid for. If the cost to fix it is outrageous, we may just forget it, but if not, it's worth it for us to fix it. I'd be willing to try with my husband's guidance.

Answered in 1 minute by:
8/20/2017
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

The other issues you have mentioned are not related to the original issue for that code. As far as the cost involved to replace that sensor for part and labor would be under $200.00 provided that the sensor is defective. This should be diagnosed and confirmed first, because there can also be a wiring or computer issue that will give that same code.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
If you are satisfied with my answer, I would greatly
appreciate a 5 star rating now before you leave the site and I
will still assist you after you have rated me too if another
question pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Thanks, Ron

rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Did you have any more questions for me at this time or are we good to go?

Thanks again, Ron

Thanks, ***** *****'t have much skill level but am always willing to try if I feel it's something I can do. Will bring it in to our local shop or the dealer and get an idea on price. I just wanted to see if I could get a rough estimate on cost. Didn't realize it could be other issues.

Thanks again, and let me know if you need more help.