kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
5629372

2010 expedition w/ climate control. A/C problem. Front fan

2010 expedition w/ climate control. A/C problem. Front fan not working. Rear air is cold. Tapped on the fan box at passenger's feet and the front fan came on momentarily.
JA: Have you checked the coolant level? Have you checked for a leak in the radiator?
Customer: huh?
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: the engine coolant level affects the a/c blower motor?
JA: Are you fixing your Expedition yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: just the tapping the blower motor box as mentioned.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

If tapping on the blower motor made it start working, then there is a bad brush in the blow motor and the motor will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Are you sure it's the motor and not some aspect of the controls?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The motor only came on for a moment. Doesn't a motor usually keep working once it's gotten a little boost to start spinning?

Yes I am sure. The blower motor has 4 brushes that make contact with the armature. If any one of them is worn and is to short, tapping on the blower motor will cause the brush to make contact again.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Alright. Thanks much!

You ae very welcome.