Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I have a Ford 2008, 175,000 miles. It started making a very

loud grinding noise when the...
I have a Ford 2008, 175,000 miles. It started making a very loud grinding noise when the car is coming to a stop, and then again when I accelerate. It also doesn't accelerate well and shakes a lot when driving. Then when I stopped the car and parked, I noticed smoke was coming out from the front. What could it be?
8/19/2017
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, where is the noise coming from, the brakes or the engine compartment? Smoke from the engine? Is the engine leaking oil or coolant?

It sounded like from under the hood. I am not sure if it was leaking anything. I was driving for about 15 minutes on the highway and it was shaking a bit, but when I got into the city it got way worse. It wouldn't accelerate more than 30 mph and when I let go from the acceleration, it would just make a loud grinding noise and come to a complete stop, it wouldn't keep going slowly like cars usually do. Then when I parked it and shut it off I noticed the smoke coming from under the hood.

Ok the smoke is most likely from an engine oil leak with that many miles on the engine. The grinding noise could be coming from the brakes if it is only making noise when coming from a stop. But if its making noise from the engine and has a lack of power it could be a failling apart catayltic convertor in the exhaust system. this would make noise on take off and acceleration. It would also explain a lack of power if its restricting the exhaust flow. An inspection of the engine and exhaust system would need to be done, along with a probable diagnostic check for codes using a scan tool too start

HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
It does make a really loud scraping noise on take off as well. I guess it could be that. I'll have to take it in for an inspection then. Would you happen to know the average costs of fixing that if it is that? Thanks for your advice.

It can vary from shop to shop with labor rates and parts mark ups. Once you know for sure what the problem is, you can phone shop other shops for the same repairs, but the shop that diagnoses it will have to stand behind any repairs for what they diagnose.

Ok, thank you for your time.

You are welcome, thank you!

HDGENE
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans