Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I removed the FICM and installed a new one. I now have

I removed the FICM and...
I removed the FICM and installed a new one. I now have 0.7VDC with the switch on. What could have happened?
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 04 F-350 Diesel with 6.0 V8 engine
JA: How old is the engine? And when was it last serviced?
Customer: original engine. a few months ago
JA: Are you fixing your F350 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes. I replaced the power supply in the FICM and now don't have the necessary 48VDC. I reinstalled the original power supply and have the same issue. I know that it was working before I removed it.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: NO
8/19/2017
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

ok. Thanks

Hello, the most common issue is a poor connection to the FICM module. Make sure all the connectors are fully seated. if this looks ok then an inspection of the wiring harness to the FICM could be a problem, the harness has been known to chafe in several areas going to the FICM on the earlier builds. You would have to verify power and ground going to the FICM. There must be battery voltage going in to the module in order for it to bump up the voltage to 48 volts. There was a recall to inspect the wiring in the past.

which one of the plugs has the 12VDC input power to the FICM?

Do you need more help with this concern? Make sure you have power at the ficm relay supplying power to the ficm.

Is this relay under the hood or under the steering wheel in the fuse panel?

As it shows in the diagram i supplied it has the ficm relay in the auxillary relay box and is powered by fuses in the under dash fuse panel. Check the fuses for the relay, trace the circuit to the relay. The from the relay to the FICM

The fuses for the FICM are good and the relay has 12VDC in the auxillary relay box.
the fuse in the auxillary relay box is good also.

Then you have to verify t he pins on the connector are getting battery voltage from the relay to the ficm or its a wiring problem or pin fit of the connector.

with the switch on, I need to check the power to the FICM?

Thats correct, to all the power wires from the relay to the ficm You can take a 12 volt brake light bulb and jump from the connector through the bulb. If the power supply is god it will light the bulb when applying power to one side and ground to the other side of the test bulb

ok. Thanks, ***** ***** this process now.

You are welcome, here is the connector pin layout. If you need more help please let me know. If I was helpful, please leave a positive rating.

HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
I found the issue. It was a blown 50A fuse under the dash. There was a short in the wiring harness. Thanks for you help.
This fuse was for the FICM.

Very good, thank you!

HDGENE
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans