Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech
Experience:  Auto Trans, Drivability and Electrical Specialist
9600325

Won't start. new starter. only 3.5 volts on pin #2 of

won't start. new starter. only 3.5 volts on pin #2 of starter relay when trying to start. i have constant power on pin #1. checked ignition switch good.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?
Customer: 462553
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2012 focus
JA: Are you fixing your Focus yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes. replaced starter. checked relay, good. getting power to pin #1 all the time good. but when trying to start i only get 3.5 volts on pin #2
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: does this cost any thing to use

Hello, my name is***** and thanks for your question.

When trying to start does the gear indicator in the instrument cluster have the P larger then the other letters and in red?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no

Ok the problem is the TCM has failed and needs to be replaced. These have extended warranty from Ford, 10 years, 100k miles which ever comes first, also includes towing.

If you are satisfied with your answer, please take a moment to rate my service as you see fit. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges.

Not set up for phone calls

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
what is the tcm

Sorry, transmission control module. When it fails, no park/neutral input to PCM, causing no crank.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
that you

Your welcome!