Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I am start an air idle speed control on my 99 ford escort

now it photos real high JA...
I am start an air idle speed control on my 99 ford escort now it photos real high
JA: How many miles are on the car? What size is the engine?
Customer: The car has 100,380 miles and it has a 2 L in it
JA: Are you fixing your Escort yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I am fixing the car myself I installed a new air I installed I knew Air idle controlthe car was running rough now the car is running at a real high idle
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes I also put in new injectors new wires new plugs new ignition coil
8/19/2017
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Will the idle come down by tapping on the gas pedal a few times?

No

HI,

Ok, 4 possible causes -

Throttle actuator cable binding, throttle throat plate(butterfly valve) sticking or bent, or faulty TP sensor, air intake leak

So you need to check the throttle cable and actuator for binding when moving it by hand and correct as needed.

If ok, check the throttle throat plate for opening and closing as you move the throttle actuator and check for any carbon deposits preventing it from closing and clean as needed.

If ok, with engine idling, spray the air intake tube between the air cleaner and throttle body with carb cleaner, then the throttle body where it bolts to the intake, as well as the IAC valve you replaced, and finally the vacuum hoses. IF idle changes when one is sprayed, that is your culprit

If all the above are ok, replace the TP sensor

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
6Bucs
6Bucs, Senior Master Tech
Phone call session started
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager