Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  Automotive Instructor at Palm Beach State College
93113249

I have high paracitic battery drain on my 2006 Ford Explorer

I have high paracitic battery drain on my 2006 Ford Explorer XLT. It is drawing 0.52A with everything off. I have pulled all fuses one by one and the only change seen is when I pull F2 Microcontroller Power in the SJB the current drops to 0.36A.
JA: Most vehicles have two fuse panels. Have you located both?
Customer: Yes checked both the battery fuse panel and the passenger panel
JA: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just pulling fuses and relays one by one while measuring the paracitic current
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That is all

Hi, My name is Jay

Your systems may stay active for up to 30 minutes before the draw will drop to a low level of about .080 or less amps draw. You should put your amp meter between disconnected battery clamp and while connected to battery and clamp touch clamp to batter post and then release and wait for up to 30 minutes with all doors closed and locked and keys in your pocket and then see what amp draw is?

Let me know what you get after testing? If you need explained better on how to do the test then I recommend you select talking on the phone if you need to.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK so I pulled every fuse and relay out of the battery junction box and every fuse out of the SJB and the current on the battery is still 0.36A I was only able to pull one fuse out of the SJB as the other 4 are difficult to reach. I have downloaded pictures to show you that I have the current meter off the negative side of the battery and I have pulled every fuse from both fuse boxes. Right now the current is just fluctuating between 0.36 and 0.37A after 30 minutes with all this stuff pulled. What do I try next?

Try and disconnect the alternator connector.

The alternator is the only thing that is not going through a fuse. If short goes away then replace the alternator. If engine has not been running and is colt then feel the back side of the alternator and it may be warm since it has been drawing power.

Did disconnecting the alternator connections cause the draw to go away?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
that was it thank you so much for your help !!

Your welcome.