Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Have a P0354 code on my 2006 F-150 5.4L, with some pinging

and knocking noise off and...
Have a P0354 code on my 2006 F-150 5.4L, with some pinging and knocking noise off and on. One mechanic, who I trust, said it's an internal engine problem, maybe camshaft, and engine replacement is the only solution. Took it to Ford dealer and waiting on diagnosis. Since my truck has 102k on it, dealer says a 2k fix wouldn't be worth it. Truck's in good shape and taken care of. Had transmission rebuilt and coils/plugs replaced 5yrs ago. Seems crazy that I'm being told to junk my truck for a coil code. Like I said , still waiting on word from Ford. What do you think?
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: Hard to tell where its coming from, been going on for a week. Engine light came on yesterday
JA: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
8/19/2017
Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech

Hello, my name is***** and thanks for your question.

It sounds like there is more than one concern. The P0354 and the noise. Usually for the P0354 code I find the wiring to the #4 coil rubbing on the A/C evaporator line causing this code as well as a misfire on #4 cylinder. If the engine is making noise from the phasers then they are probably thinking the cost of the repair to fix the noise is not cost effective. Ask them if they found the #4 coil wire rubbing on the A/C evaporator line. I have also seen the locking connectors on the coil fail and cause the connector to push up off the coil, which will also cause this code.

If you are satisfied with your answer, please take a moment to rate my service as you see fit. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges.

Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech
what are phasers?

The phasers are the units on the ends of the camshafts that control variable valve timing.

Kenny Z.
Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech