Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My rear running lights are not working and I can't figure…

My rear running lights...

My rear running lights are not working and I can't figure out why

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

My tail lights on my 2011 f150

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Well I the bulbs are new and I looked for a short and couldn't find one.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's all

8/19/2017
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

Do the front marker lights work like they should?

The only thing I see here that would affect only the rears would be fuse #40 in the fuse box inside the truck. The parking and tail lamp relay should be working if the fronts are working, but it splits the power to two fuses, one for the front and one for the rear, the rears being that fuse #40. It's only a small 10 amp fuse so it's possible it's blown. If the fuse is good, then you will need to take a test light and check the fuse for power. If it's not getting power then the issue is likely the body control module. If it is getting power, then you do have a broken connection somewhere along the line.

Please check it and let me know.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!

Idk what happened but they started working

Did you check the fuse? It's possible it was loose in there or just a bit corroded. I would say if they go out again you may have an issue with the body control module going on here. This would have to be replaced by the dealer because it would need to be reprogrammed. You know, it's the fuse box as well in there, you might want to just wiggle the wiring harness at the fuse box to see if it's a loose wire back there as well.

Long as the fronts are working it's got to be happening in the box or with the wiring right out of the box

Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician