Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1999 e-450 Ac blower wont work (new) fan switch will not…

1999 e-450 Ac blower wont work (new)...
1999 e-450
Ac blower wont work
(new) fan switch will not send power to fuse 13 on driver kick panel
50 amp fuse has power (in cab fusebox)
Relay has power but switch does not change power in relay as fuse 13 has no power
8/18/2017
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Alright, lets take a look at the wiring diagram, You say fuse 13 (50 amp) is hot at all times correct?

I put my multimeter on both pins and got voltage-- i dont have a simple test light but i moved the needle
hold on
13 50 amp power distribution box

Alright, the Blower Relay in the power distro box out under the hood, did you try another one out there by chance?

Swap it with another relay, You have an owners manual by chance? the relays are labelled on page 135 ish.

Swap it with the horn relay or wiper relay, I believe one of those is identical to the blower relay. Let me know what happens.

I have a new one -- ill try it again -- nope
Should fuse 13 on the inside fuse box Have power all the time?

I'm not positive on that interior fuse. but fuse 13 outside under the hood is the fuse for the blower motor. Check this link out, on page 130. and swap a new blower motor relay in place of relay H. and let me know what happens.

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/99ecoog1e.pdf

The blend door actuator? Btw -- i have the new blower motor attched but sitting on top of the battery -- i didnt want to replace it unless needed but i did want to see if i could get it to work
I have a new relay in-- its not that

Wait, is fuse 13 on the interior panel HOT , I was confused as there are two number 13 fuses in this circuit! :)

OK, not the relay, I gotcha.

fuse 13 in the interior fuse panel should be hot with the key ON.

Right -- no problem
No inside 13 IS NOT HOT

Either side right? it's dead. any signs of water leaking in this van? windshield would leak, and dump water right on the interior fuse box.

Outside is!One problem is that nothing on the inside fuse box is labeled directly as affecting the blower motor -- i think its 13
No water damage -- ive seen the schematic that shows a fuse there in the circuit but its mot clear -- i know enough to be dangerous by researching it

It is 13 that powers up the blower switch.

are fuses 19 and 7 hot? The ignition switch powers up those fuses through YELLOW/GRAY wire coming from ignition switch to interior fuse box.

Check this diagram a minute.

Should it have power all the time or does it get power from somewhere else in the circuit--- i could have a bad ground?

it gets power from the ignition switch. If you blow that diagram up and scroll to the bottom, you see fuse 13 is on the same leg as fuse 7 and 19. Check fuse 7 and 19 and if they are hot something weird is going on in that fuse box.

Give me 5 --

No problem , take your time.

13 , 17, 9 were off until i turned the igitionThen 17 and 9 came on with the ignition and i blew 13
Ive changed too many variables to know what caused the fuse to blow
I put a new fuse in with fan switch off -- its ok so far
Now i will turn switch and see if fuse blows
I turned switch on
Fuse held
Blower motor turned
Not sure what all is different but old fuse looked good until i got it close upI think we can settle up
Im going to plug old blower in to cross check it

If fuse 13 blows again, I believe it's shorted somewhere from the fuse to the switch maybe. If it blows, skin back the wire 4 or 5 inches from the fuse box and run a new wire to the blower switch is what I would do. I think you have the diagrams and information you need to to trace it. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.

I just turned on the ac and it blew

Alright, does it have aux blower on it as well and is it off?

No aux blower but -- but remember i had the new blower attached sittngbon the battery -- its when inplugged back into the original blower and turned on the ac that it blew -- can the old blower cause it to spike and/or the ac ?
Running the fan on vent and its ok so far? How can the ac affect it?

Do you see where the blend door actuator also gets powered up by fuse 13. can we unplug the blend door actuator and see if it blows the fuse then. can you see if it blows the fuse with the new blower hooked up. I doubt it will make a difference really. but wouldn't hurt to check it in case that blower motor is overloading the relay somehow. But I think that is a stretch.

Looking
I disconnected the blend door actuator and fan still works

right, does the fuse blow though?

Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Can the high pressure switch on ac affect anything -- the origin story here is that i replaced the a/c compressor-- which worked for a while -- but since its a 1999 and a cutaway for a motor home ( 30 ft class C) there has always been a quality issue ... and with all the coach wiring ...
I need to pay you and quit in 15
Fuse has not blown

Alright, maybe but a blend door actuator on it then if it doesn't blow the fuse with actuator unplugged, but does blow it with it plugged in. Best wishes and thank you for the rating!!

Fee?
Ah -- the original --- i added a "tip" for having to deal with an amateur mechanic who is better at theology by a lot

I really do appreciate that. Let me know if there is anything else I can do. Thank you!

Finally got a good look at compressor-- the connector was broken with exposed wire causing short...

That is interesting, because my E450 wiring diagram with v10 didn't show fuse 13 powering the compressor, however, when I look at an e350 with v10 it does. Check this diagram out. Regardless, I am glad you got it fixed!