Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

2008 Ford Explorer Ironman: Two mechanics unable to find

2008 Ford Explorer Ironman:...
2008 Ford Explorer Ironman: Two mechanics unable to find solution. Been placed on computer twice. Problem: Each time we fill up, when we go to start the vehicle it bucks, stalls and sometimes will not restart. Have had to have it towed to no avail. It seems, if not filled all the way, it will start. Gas tank never empty throughout this problem. DTC codes checked. No codes present. Crank sensor signal checked (strong& Steady). Air Fuel & Exhaust Parameters all within specifications. Purge valves operated properly.Evap sys. under vac and actuated the valves (all checked ok.) New battery. New fuel pump and associated equip replaced. Ran car for a couple of days okay. Filled it up this morning and it had the same symptoms.
JA: Does the battery look like it's leaking? And does it have a strong smell -- like sulfur?
Customer: No. The battery is brand new.
JA: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No. It has been to one garage twice and another garage once.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, that's it.
8/18/2017
Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician

Hi, My name is Jay

You should have the evaporative system smoke tested with the engine off as if you were at a gas station and see if smoke comes out of the fuel tank vent valve as it should. Also check to see if smoke gets into the intake from the purge valve leaking as it should not do this. If either of these are not working as it should then replace the vent valve or purge valve. The problem is caused with fumes filling the engine when you are refueling and flooding the engine.

Thank you. We will follow your advise.
In the mean time you can try to keep your engine running while you refuel. Until you get it fixed.
Please accept and rate my answers. Thank you.
Jaybird61
Jaybird61
Jaybird61