Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

The engine starting "jumping" for lack of a better term, the

Customer Question

The engine starting "jumping" for lack of a better term, the check engine and the tool lights came on. They come and go. Rough gear switching, poor acceleration at times. 2011 ford escape v6.
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: they stay on, but might go away and come back later
JA: Are you fixing your Escape yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I hope to. Nothing so far.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, I don't think so
Category: Ford
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

With these lights coming on this indicates the engine computer has detected a fault with an engine or a transmission component.What has to be done from here is to have the fault codes read out/checked using a fully compatible scan tool to see what codes are set.Once this is done any codes set then need diagnosed to then locate and repair this issue.Most shops or a dealer can check the codes for you as well as diagnose and repair the fault for a fee.A local parts store will usually read out the codes free of charge to you.

The jumping can be an engine misfire due to a failing ignition coil or spark plug or an injector at fault.The jumping issue may also be related to a transmission fault like the torque converter acting up.If you can get the codes checked this will help to locate this issue here.But there are several components that can cause this so the codes do need checked to help pinpoint this issue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok, so the tool light goes off sometimes... can I get the right code if it happens to be of when the codes are being read?
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

There should still be a code set even if the lights are off as usually the engine computer will save the code as a history code.But to be safe in some cases it is best to have the codes checked when the lights are on.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete