Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

I have codes P0263 and P0649. runs great for about 2 minutes

I have codes P0263 and P0649. runs great for about 2 minutes and then no pedal.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?
Customer: P0263 - cylinder 1 contribution / balance fault and P0649 - Speed control lamp circuit. Yes. I have reset it and it comes right back.
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2004 f250 6.0 l
JA: Are you fixing your F250 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am TRYING to fix it myself. I have replaced the high pressure oil switch, dummy plugs, oil filter and correct cap and the low pressure oil switch.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: not that I can think of.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

P0263 most likely means fuel injector has failed, I would recommend replacing them all. P0649 is related to cruise control light circuit, you would want to follow orange/blue wire that goes from cluster to pin 9 of PCM to find damage or run a new wire. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Dan. Thanks for your answer but it is very vague. Most likely doesn't do it for me. Are you suggesting that I just throw parts at it like a ford dealer does? This is not how I learned to work on engines. I need to know if it failed and why it failed.

You can use capable scantool to do injector buzz test and also do resistance test of injectors to verify they are the problem before replacing.Verify the fuel pressure is 45-60 PSI. If the fuel pressure is low, address the fuel supply problem. Also with the fuel pressure gauge connected, open the bleed valve on the gauge to inspect the fuel for any air bubbles. If found, suspect possible injector or injector seal problems allowing combustion gas into the fuel system. If the fuel pressure is OK and the fuel not aerated, check compression on cylinder 1 looking for at least 350 PSI. If the compression is low, inspect the turbo and air inlet for any signs that debris may have been pulled in bypassing the air filter. Address the engine mechanical problem as needed and recheck operation. If the compression is OK but the code for cylinder 1 keeps returning, suspect a faulty injector on that cylinder. Here is also testing instructions from manual, please do not forget tor ate answer. Thanks.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qkf51cfytk14gfz/0263.pdf?dl=0

-

P0263 Cylinder 1 Balance / Contribution - Manual and Automatic Transmission

Possible CausesSetting Conditions

• Base engine problem affecting only Cylinder 1
  • Fuel injection delivery problem affecting only Cylinder 1
  • Valve train assembly for Cylinder 1 has failed

Engine running; and the PCM detected that the acceleration rate of the crankshaft for Cylinder 1 was less than a calibrated amount. Perform the power balance test to verify the cylinder contribution. Disregard any codes set as a result of the power balance test. Single or inconsistent non-contributing power cylinder traces may be caused by a natural variation in a crankshaft speed and should be ignored.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks Dan. That is the answer that I was looking for. Not everyone is a shade tree mechanic. I appreciate your response.

I'm happy to help and most people get overwhelmed with too much. Let me know if there is anything else I can do, thanks.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Well, I bought it new and have had almost 12 years of no problems. I haven't been able to drive it since October. Just want to not drive this dodge Dakota anymore. Thanks again.

No problem, let me know how it turns out. Thanks again and please do not forget to rate answer.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will rate it after I do the testing but you have a huge thumbs up from me.

Well keep me updated, I am not compensated for time or information until rating is done. Thanks.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks for letting me know that. I just did the rating. Thanks again.

I appreciate it, I'll be here if you run into questions.