Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Just recently tried changing radio in f150. Now truck will…

Just recently tried changing...

Just recently tried changing radio in f150. Now truck will not start. 2002 crew cab with 5.4l engine. The stereo required more modification than I was led to believe. I could have very easily jiggled loose some other wiring. I went to start truck and just clicking. I tried starting in park and neutral with no success. I eventually disconnected everything again and tried to start. Then I got clicking noise from fuse box in cab. The dome light and door lights flashing with the clicking noise. I removed a fuse for interior lights and clicking stopped too.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the vehicle's manual for this?

Only to find fuse for interior lights

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your F150?

2002 f150 crew cab 5.4 l engine

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am trying to fix since dead in my driveway. Mostly tried finding info online boards. I did find similar situations online suggesting neutral safety switch, but that was before the fuse box clicking

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I promise to never mess with electrical again once solved

8/17/2017
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN

Hello and welcome!

My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question.

I am very sorry your having this issue with your vehicle.

I will try my best to answer all of your questions.

However, before we get started, please let me mention a few things.

1. If at any point you would like to speak on the phone, please feel free to request a phone call on your end and I can call you right away.

2. If you dont understand any technical terms or anything that I mention (component tests or theory or operation), please let me know and I will provide you with a more in debt explanation or answer.

3. Please understand that I am here to help you any way I can.

Have you checked the battery? The battery may have gone bad or it might just be low on a charge. You could check the voltage level using a voltmeter or you could try jumping it.

Also, be sure ALL fuses and the battery connections and clean and tight as well.

Let me know.

I just disconnected and reconnected negative at battery. I attached battery charger the other day and it showed full charge at that point

It may be full on a charge, but have a bad cell inside the battery.. which would mean the battery is bad. This will also cause this no crank condition you are experiencing.

The battery is a couple years old but was working fine until I messed with stereo. Vehicle also didn't start with charger attached

What is the battery voltage at when you turn the key to CRANK?

I don't have volt meter on it. I did run battery down messing with things. Charger currently on. Dash board lights flicker crazily but not turning over
I have stereo disconnected as well as heater pulled out of dash and disconnected

Your battery is bad.

Humor me, I'm sure you are right, but I don't think that is only problem. Otherwise why wouldn't it start with charger on. When the battery went bad before and I jumped it. I was able to start it and drive to store to get replacement

The only other possible cause would be a faulty connection at or after the battery. It could be on the positive or ground side circuit so be sure to check both.

It all depends on the strength of the battery, type of charger you have and other factors. Just because it had started before when jumped or when a charger was installed, and the battery was bad, it does not mean it will do this again. This is not a good way to test or check the circuit.

I would recommend to start by verifying the battery is good or bad and go from there. If the battery tests out faulty, replace it and retest.

I removed battery and will get tested/replaced then be back

Sounds good!

I am glad I can help!

Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STARS or SMILEY FACES" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

I just ask that you allow time in between replies as I may be helping other customers or off line spending time with the family.

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

You were 100% correct. I realized driving to store that my battery was older than I thought. Previously purchased battery had been for my wife's car not my truck. Still I was incredulous that was only problem. The timing was ALL the problems began the moment I started working with the wiring. I assumed I was the main problem! Thank you for your help

You are welcome sir. :)

I am glad I can help!

Please dont forget honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as EXCELLENT SERVICE for assisting you today.

Thanks and have a great day!

AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN