Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

The position of the tilt steering wheel on my 2001 f150

The position of the...

The position of the tilt steering wheel on my 2001 f150 super crew directly affects whether the truck will start or not-it seems it has to be tilted all the way up for it to start, otherwise it will crank but not Astarte.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuel supply? And are all the spark plugs working?

This condition has been present for a year or two. In the intervening time coils, plugs, fuel filter have been changed with no change to starting problem.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I did recently replace the gear shift lever because of a broken overdrive button, but nothing else yet.

8/17/2017
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Try this, when just turning the key to the ON position, with the column in a position where it WONT start, does the anti theft light stay lit up with the key on, or does it blink, or does it go out after 2 to 3 seconds like it should?

Blinks rapidly

OK, then it is an anti theft issue, check the transceiver wiring harness, I'll bet it is rubbed or chafed somewhere like the O/D button wires were. or they are pulling out of the transceiver or something along those lines, try both keys if you have two as well. But since it only blinks fast and won't start with the column not in the UP position, I would look at the transceiver that reads the key and it's wiring first. It looks like this. I believe you will find your problem there. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you!

Thank you I'll look there first!

Absolutely, Thank you.

The key is that anti theft light, if it blinks with the steering in the down position , but doesn't blink with it up, then it's gotta be a transceiver wiring or transceiver itself issue in my opinion.

If your all set please don't forget to rate the question via one of the star icons, if you need any further help let us know. Thank you.

Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Edward
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician