Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

For my 2005 ford escape 3.0 litre, I was told that my rear…

Customer Question
Hi, for my 2005...

Hi, for my 2005 ford escape 3.0 litre, I was told that my rear catalytic converter needs to be replaced. Recently replaced PCM & 6 new spark plugs & 6 new ignition engine coils in tune up. Could replacing the other 2 catalytic converters be on horizon? Help!!!!

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle been "scoped out"?

I'm not sure as they had to remove Y exhaust to get to it?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Escape yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, it's been repaired by the mechanic.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Mechanic says it will cost $1,400 in total to fix maybe a bit more if no bolts are broken. He also suggested to replace water pump while I'm at it ($437).

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Ford
8/16/2017
Ford Mechanic: AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN replied 6 months ago
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

I am very sorry your having this issue with your vehicle.

I will try my best to answer all of your questions.

However, before we get started, please let me mention a few things.

1. If at any point you would like to speak on the phone, please feel free to request a phone call on your end and I can call you right away.

2. If you dont understand any technical terms or anything that I mention (component tests or theory or operation), please let me know and I will provide you with a more in debt explanation or answer.

3. Please understand that I am here to help you any way I can.

Are you looking for a second opinion about the converter?

How does your mechanic know it is faulty?

second opinion as mechanic did his diagnose of rattling sound of the vehicle. I don't doubt his diagnostic but am concerned about the future of the 2 front converters which are more expensive parts?

YES, that is correct.

If the brick inside the converter is broken or loose causing a rattling sound, the converter does in fact need to be replaced.

If the brick inside the converter in the front is not broken up and there are no converter codes stored in the computer, the front converters should be Ok.

Does that answer your question?

Hello there!

I am just checking in to see how things are going and to see if you need any further assistance?

If so, please let me know as I will be happy to help.

Best Regards,

Customer/p>

AMEDEE
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN