Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I have a 1992 ford van, that shutters at about 25-30 mph as

Customer Question
I have a 1992 ford...
I have a 1992 ford van , that shutters at about 25-30 mph as if it can not decide if it should shift up or stay in the gear it is in. when accelerating If I can get more speed it shifts good.
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?
Customer: The automatic trany is 25 years old, with 117000 miles not sure about brake switch?
JA: What is the model of your '92 Ford?
Customer: Ford E150 , 5.0 engine
JA: Are you fixing your E150 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I have been doing the basics ,replaced egr valve oil , transmission fuid looks very good no smell I have a computer scanner witch helped to eliminates the engine
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The transmission only does it at mid range speed shifting
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Ford
8/16/2017
Ford Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 5 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

That sounds like a torque converter lock up and shudder issue, if fluid looks good and there are no debris in pan you can try using lucas transmission additive

I will give lucas transmission additive a try ( good product). The van has set for a couple years in a garage, I will let you know if that helps Thank you Tom

Sounds good, mkae sure shes up to operating temps wen you check levels, I hope that helps out

Mechanic01
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician