Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Won't start, lights come on fine, tried jumping it to

Customer Question
Won't start, lights...

Won't start, lights come on fine, tried jumping it to another car, it won't crank over

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuel supply? And are all the spark plugs working?

Barely a click, checked the fuel disengage in trunk. Engine won't move/turnover at all

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2007 Interceptor

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Interceptor yourself? What have you tried so far?

Trying to fix myself.... tried jumping it, tried different key, pushed in the fuses in the engine compartment

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that i can think of

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Ford
8/16/2017
Ford Mechanic: 6Bucs, Ford Senior Master replied 10 months ago
6Bucs
6Bucs, Ford Senior Master
Hello and welcome to just answer. My name is***** you have a colt meter for testing? Are you able to jack up the vehicle to access the starter?
I put it in neutral tried to start it, nothing. Lights on dash panel come on as I would normally expect. Engine just doesn't move/crank.
No volt meter handy, but i can dig one up and its dead in the driveway, i could jack it up tomorrow.
Do you hear the starter click at all?
hard to tell, seems like there is a faint click with each turn of the key to start, but with no helper i'm not sure if its coming from the bottom of the car or high in the engine compartment.
Alright. If you hear a click underneath the car and the engine does not turn over this indicates a faulty starter. You may get a better idea with an assistant. You can always respond back here with updates or follow up responses
Ok, got an assistant. The click sound is high up on the engine, not underneath.
Ok. Can you get underneath to check the starter? You'll want to check for voltage on the small jumper wire with the 10mm nut in it while an assistant turns the ignition key to the crank position.
k. will check it tomorrow thx
Sounds good.

Hello, just checking in to see if you were able to make any progress, or if you still need assistance.

I hope this has been helpful. Your satisfaction is my number one goal. When your question has been answered satisfactorily, please take a moment to submit a rating for our interaction. This is my personal report card and how experts are compensated for their time. There is no additional charge and you can always post back here with updates or follow ups.

Hand cranked engine so engine fine. Decided that if i need to bench test the starter i would replace it anyway. So starter was bad had a hell of a time fittin new larger one in. Runs great once again.
Thx sir
Ok thank you. Please take a moment to rate today's service if you would. Have a great weekend