Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2011 ford f250 super duty 4x4 gas engine, working on esof,

2011 ford f250 super...

2011 ford f250 super duty 4x4 gas engine, working on esof, fuses good, shift motor replaced, vacumm solenoid replaced, 4x4 module replaced, all new parts, module has been programmed/flashed, still not shifting, transfer case will shift manually. should there be power at the 2 prong connector on the shift motor? when switch is in 2wd?

Mechanic's Assistant: Most vehicles have two fuse panels. Have you located both?

Yes using oWNERS MANUAL, all have been located and checked

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F-250 Super Duty yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes fixing myself, refer to original question too see what has been done

8/15/2017
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

ok thanks

Hello, does the 4x4 module pass communication tests and stores no codes in its module? Do the lights for the 4x4 light up when turning the key on with the other lights then go off?

only code that shows up is that it did not complete shift from 2wd to 4wd

Ok does the scan tool you are using allow you to active command the shift motor? What is the actial code number that is coming up for th shift from 2 to 4x4 error?

This has been looked at by a dealer since it was reprogrammed?

I do not have scan tool, this is what the garage told me after programing the module, we are thinking there is a short in the harness, possibly with the two wire plug that goes to the actual shift motor. I am wandering if there should be voltage there all the time, I am getting voltage on that plug even with key off, but not equal voltage on each side

No, the two wires allow for the motor to turn clockwise or counterclockwise to make the transfer case shift into each gear.

Electronic Shift-On-The-Fly (ESOF) System

The electronic shift 4WD system consists of the following:

• Transfer case
  • Transfer Case Control Module (TCCM)
  • Vehicle High Speed Controller Area Network (HS-CAN)
  • Mode Select Switch (MSS)
  • Gearmotor encoder assembly
  • 4WD indicators and 4WD system messages in the IPC message center
  • Constant Vacuum Hublock (CVH)
  • CVH solenoid and vacuum lines
  • Vacuum pump (diesel engine only)

Vehicles equipped with an ESOF system allow the operator to choose between 2WD and 2 different 4WD modes. The transfer case is shifted electronically by the TCCM based on the MSS position. Under normal driving conditions, the transfer case is in 2H (4X2), but when desired, the operator can shift into 4H (4X4 HIGH) or 4L (4X4 LOW). The operator can shift between 2H and 4H at any speed. To shift into 4L, the vehicle must be stopped or rolling less than 5 km/h (3 mph) and the transmission in NEUTRAL.

The message center of the IPC displays 4X4 SHIFT IN PROGRESS during a shift, then displays the system mode selected. If shift conditions are not met, the message center displays Information guiding the operator through the correct shifting procedures. If the message center displays SHIFT DELAYED PULL FORWARD, transfer case gear tooth blockage is present. To alleviate the condition move the vehicle forward approximately 1.5 m (5 ft) and if the condition occurs during a 4L shift, place the transmission in neutral to allow the transfer case to complete the shift and fully engage.

The ESOF uses CVHs to engage the front axles. The CVHs are automatically controlled by the TCCM using the hublock vacuum solenoid, which either applies vacuum to the CVHs (4H or 4L) or releases and withholds vacuum to the CVHs (2H). Diesel engine vehicles are equipped with a gear-driven vacuum pump that is mounted to the front of the engine behind the accessory drive cooling fan driver and is serviced as an assembly.

Electronic Locking Differential (ELD) System

The Electronic Locking Differential (ELD) system consists of the following components:

• ELD field coil, located at the rear differential
  • Rear differential
  • MSS , located on instrument panel
    • Vehicles equipped with 4WD electronic shift and ELD share controls in the same MSS ; 4WD mechanical shift and 2WD vehicles use a MSS which controls the ELD only.

The optional ELD system allows the operator to lock the rear differential side gears on slippery and/or off road surfaces. ELD operation is requested by pulling out (4WD electronic shift vehicles) or turning the MSS to the on position (4WD mechanical shift and 2WD vehicles).

Attached is the circuit and the pinpoint test for this concern

if I am getting voltage readings on the two wire plug at shift motor, when no activity is called for, then I am gussing I have a short somewhere in the wiring harness, since all modules and such are new?
btw, the locking differential is working fine

Possibly, knowing the actual code number may tell more to the actual issue, the test i listed is a by symptom issue of it not shifting. It may be a ghost voltage also. if it will light a bulb it is a true voltage being supplied. A motor has to have power and a path to ground, so its possible you may have a bad ground somewhere causing the voltage to bleed back on this circuit.

ok that helps, ill dive into it more tomorrow evening, I love my fords, but go figure a bad ground on a ford. lol

Absolutely! If you need more help please let me know. If I was helpful, please leave a positive rating so I get credit for helping you.

HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Thank you!

your pdf file will not down load, can you resend please?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xo1006ls9hdxvpo/PPT%20I.pdf?dl=0

I put it up on dropbox for you to download directly

thank you got it.

You are welcome!

Hi Gene, used the pin point tests you sent, found a bad power wire, from fuse box too module, replaced, everything working great!. Thank you for the help

Excellent! Im glad to hear you got it fixed with my help! Thank you!