Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I have a 1995 Ford Taurus with a 3.0 Vulcan engine with a

distributor. It has 145,000 miles...
I have a 1995 Ford Taurus with a 3.0 Vulcan engine with a distributor. It has 145,000 miles, the oil and filters were changed regularly. What would cause the cam shaft to break ?
8/11/2017
Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician

Hi, My name is Jay

The camshaft would break from seizing up due to lack of proper lubrication at the camshaft bearings. You may have clogged oil passages going to cam.

What would clog them and would it be worth repairing ?
They have small passages and clog with sludge over time. I would replace motor.
What is a reasonable cost to replace the motor ?

around $3200 for a used motor and labor. You may be able to get a remanufactured motor installed for about $4000

"I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help, you can hold off on the rating for now and reply back here -- I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you"

Jaybird61
Why would you replace the motor ?
A broken can break the head and get metal through out the engine and ruin crankshaft bearings and score piston cylinders
Broken cam meant to say.
Would need to sample oil for metal in it.
Jay, would you trust a used engine shipped from Got Engines, out of state : Ford 3.0 Vulcan Vin U for a 95 Taurus. Said to have 71 K miles, compression checked, 5 year or 50 k mile parts and labor warranty for $805.00 ?

It is always a chance with a used motor no matter who it is from since you do not know how it was taken care of. Since they give a full warranty then this shows they stand behind the motor. Also they will cover parts and labor and that is great so you would not have to cover the replacement if something is wrong. Make sure to use a good quality full synthetic oil and quality filter once installed.

Jaybird61
Jaybird61