Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have another question about my 67 Thunderbird,I had to…

Hi! I have another...

Hi! I have another question about my 67 Thunderbird,I had to install a new carburetor on my car,The mechanic said it was beyond repair,I had a new fuel filter,points,condenser,timing set,carburetor adjusted yet it still hesitates slightlyfrom a stop light and surges between 45 and 50 mph-The mechanic said it could be in the transmission and since I have a new fuel pump,fuel lines and fuel tank ,he is not sure what is causing hesitation? It also has a new coil ,I am not sure what is going on,Why would it be surging or bucking at certain speeds?

Mechanic's Assistant: When did you last fill the tank? And do you smell gasoline around the engine?

Today

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Thunderbird yourself? What have you tried so far?

No smell

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No a restoration shop

Answered in 1 minute by:
8/10/2017
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician

Hi, I am Mike, welcome. I'm reviewing your question.

Check for a vacuum leak and also check the distributor vacuum advance.

To check for a vacuum leak, with the engine warm, choke open, at idle tag a rag and shut off all the air going into the carburetor by holding the rag tightly on top of the carb. The engine should stall, if it continues to run then it must be getting air from somewhere and that means it has a vacuum leak.

To test the vacuum advance, the easiest way is to remove the vacuum hoe from the intake manifold or carb, light up a cigarette and blow smoke into the hose for the vacuum advance. It smoke pours out the distributor cap, then that vacuum advance diaphragm is busted and that is the reason for the hesitation and the vacuum leak could be causing the surging.

Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Thanks! I will check!

You are welcome and thank you!