Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I put in a new alternator an, And new battery but car my1997…

I put in a...

I put in a new alternator an

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

And new battery but car my1997 mercury mountaineer still just clicks when I try to start it up. Is the starter bad?

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

Since yesterday. It would not start this morning. The sound comes from near the battery and/or the battery

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Mountaineer?

1997

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Mountaineer yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. Just put in new alternator and new battery today

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That it makes a single clicking noise when i turn the key to start it

Answered in 1 minute by:
8/9/2017
roy
roy, import/domestic specialest

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

ok

yes, it can be bad.

to confirm, go to the starter motor and test the little wire on the starter solenoid for power in the start position. if there is power, the starter is bad, if it does not then there is other issues.

do the test first

Roy

Where is that located
Nol dont want to call

under the truck where the engine meets the trans. on the battery side of the truck. you need either a test light or volt meter

I did not send that. it is generated by the site

Roy

Ok give me a minute to test it

ok, will be here

Hold on please!

ok

Ok that has power
Where is the starter located

what??? it has power but how did you determine it had power if you dont know where it is???

as I stated before, under the truck where the engine meets the transmission. small motor with a solenoid on top

No I found that and tested it. I'm good now thanks for the help

PLease take a moment and rate my service 3 stars or better. that will allow the site to pay me for my efforts.

Roy

roy
roy, import/domestic specialest

do you need any other help???

thank you