Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

94 F250. Vacuum power brakes I cannot get a good brake

pedal. This has been an...
94 F250. Vacuum power brakes I cannot get a good brake pedal. This has been an on going problem, and the customer wants it fixed. I have bled the brakes including putting a hose into a clear bottle and have put a liter of fluid through the system.I have done this probably 3 or 4 times over the last 2 years. For this exercise I have the rear brakes adjusted right up tight. New pads and rotors on the front. I have excellent pedal untill I start the truck and then the pedal is low and soft.
8/9/2017
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician

Hi. Welcome to chat! My name is ***** ***** have been a dealer tech for 20 years. I will attempt to assist you with your concern today.

Have you replaced the brake booster yet? It sounds like it might be internally bypassing.

Please also note that customer satisfaction is my number one goal and rating this chat session 3 or more stars will keep the chat open for further follow up questions you may have. Click here for rating system example.

Please read this: Understand it's not one response and done. We can communicate back and forth many times.

1. I am an independent FACTORY DEALER auto mechanic and also work for Just Answer.

2. When you're pleased or happy with my assistance or efforts to help you, at the top of the screen please rate me or reply and say "I'm satisfied".

3. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to ask follow up questions.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Not sure what you mean. When the engine is running (power brakes) is when I have a soft pedal. I just ordered a new master cyl as I am stumped as to what to do

If the master cylinder was bad with the engine off the brake pedal would bleed down and travel to the floor. Since the problem is when the engine is running and vacuum is applied to the brake booster it would generally indicate that the booster is internally bypassing vacuum causing the low pedal.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Booster is same price as master so I will give it a try

I think that would be a better go than the master. You can always verify if the brake master is good by installing plugs into the brake line fittings and verify that the pedal does not sink down. But I think it is safe to say it is ok.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

I have not yet replaced the booster. I decided to try something. I got some old brake lines from another vehicle and made plugs to isolate the master from the rest of the brake system. Pedal was high and hard with truck shut off and exactly the same (high and hard) with the truck running. To me that says that the booster and master are not the problem. I made up some lines and bypassed the rear anti lock solenoid. I am waiting for someone to show up to help me bleed the brakes. I am not sure I got the air out of the rear line.

Ok sounds like a good test. I have replaced the rear anti lock valve before but I dont remember exactly what the concern was with the brake pedal. Keep me updated.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

I got the brakes bled and the pedal felt much better. Went for a road test and was not terribly impressed. 80km-0 just did not feel like I had power brakes. Kept working it to break in the front pads and it did get better. I stopped about 5 mile down the road and you could definetly smell brakes. The hotter they got the worse the pedal felt. Drove home and as the brakes cooled down the pedal felt better and it developed a pull to the left. Got home and used a lazer gun to check temps. on the wheels between the lugnuts. It was LF 165F RF 172F Both rear 105. New pads and rotors on the front.
Decided to walk away from it till Monday

Some of your issues still sound like a brake booster problem. At this pint you have already replaced a lot, might as well just replace the booster and/or master also.

EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician