Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

My question is on breaking in a newly rebuilt engine.

BACKGROUND: I'm purchasing an 87...
My question is on breaking in a newly rebuilt engine. BACKGROUND: I'm purchasing an 87 foxbody 5.0. The engine and t5 have been rebuilt 23 miles ago, t5 is stock and the engine consists of new bearings,seals,and gaskets with brand new forged flat top racing pistons, b303 cam gt40p heads gt40 upper and lower intake,cold air intake,24 lbs injectors,new water pump,fuel pump,and fuel filter, shorty headers with flow masters exhaust with dumps,under drive pulleys,new ford racing valve covers. I've never owned a rebuilt motor this fresh before, and will need to drive the car 1.5 hours back to my house from his. This car will be my daily driver so I cannot afford to ruin the motor by improperly breaking the motor in. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
8/9/2017
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician

Hello! My name is Gary.
Welcome to JustAnswer.
I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply shortly.

Hello Devon,

The first drive should be short with some varied load, then the fluid levels and engine inspected for leaks etc.

Once happy, it should see some varied load while driving, do not sit on one constant speed for your 1.5 hour trip.

A good book of mine states running in can be accomplished by heavily accelerating from 30 - 50mph in top gear, then coast down to 30, then back to 50, then down to 30, about 10 times. This loads the rings against the walls to break them in quickly.

Don't rev the engine to high rpm, don't idle excessively, don't lug the engine, monitor all gauges etc.

Hopefully your trip is varied to allow different loads.

If the engine is assembled correctly it will be run-in after the first day.

If the engine has already done 23 miles, I would consider it nearly run in already.

Gary

vary the load on the drive and then just baby it over the next 500 miles or so and it would be fine?

I would vary the load over the drive, not too much baby, no thrashing.

Then in the next 500 miles, it should experience some wide open to 5000 rpm type load.

By 500 miles, it should be able to go wide open to 6000 as a safe max for now.

The factory rev limiter is a bit higher than that.

Your combo should go well.

Gary

lastly just to clarify, along with those 5000rpm pulls in the 500 mile period, is it okay to drive on the highway? Mostly constant speed but every now and then do those pulls

Hi Devon,

You can drive on the highway, just don't sit on one speed cruising continously for hours on end.

I hope this all makes sense.

Kind regards

Gary

Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Thank you very much, I understand now!
Gary
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician