Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Alternator not charging battery indicator light on an

Alternator not charging battery...

Alternator not charging battery indicator light on an instrument cluster. I only have two wires coming out of the pigtail on the alternator

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?

No and no.

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll pass this info along to the Ford Mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. What is the model/year of your Ford?

2004 f350 sdd

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F350 yourself? What have you tried so far?

2 new alternators in the last 2 months this might be my third depending. If I remove the pigtail from the alternator with the engine running the alternator indicator light goes out on the dash.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

My batteries have been on the charger now and they're almost fully topped off again. I replace the pigtail with the last alternator in that seem to have solved the no charging problem last time

8/8/2017
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. you have 3 wires going to the alternator and 2 of them are in a connectir correct?

Sorry. Correct. The middle wire isnot being used apparently
Guess I just want to make sure that it's not a bad pigtail or if it's the alternator itself once again. I would like to know if there's any voltage checks I can perform at the pigtail

ok, but the middle wire is being used

Okay the middle wire which shows that should be a red wire basically going to the battery positive side AZ never been on there as far as I recall. It only has the two outside wires the green wire and bigger light blue wire
Of course you got the large gauge red wire that goes right directly to the post on the back of the alternator

ok, then thats the red wire

Okay. But referring to the push on tictail that goes onto the top of the alternator there's three pins on it and I'm only using the two outside ones the metal pin is dummied off

correct.... disconnect that connector and tell me what the battery voltages are while the engine is running

12.04 v.

not good. you need to check the fusible links that are on the diagram

check fuse 45 on the fuse panel inside on lower left dash

here cis the complete diagnostics for the charging system. be alert to the For "DIESEL ENGINES" sectons

Okay I appreciate the good info I got something to sink my teeth into in a couple hours. But thanks Dave. By the way I got a very good friend of mine who's mechanic whose name is*****

wheres he from?

He's a transplant from Indiana about 10 or 15 years ago I guess. He lives now in Phoenix East Valley

thats pretty nuts. I have a brother who lives in phoenix. But we are all from Pittsburgh

please accept the answer and leave a 5 star rating for me if you were satisfied with my assistance. even though you accept and rate doesnt mean we are done as i will be with you until the vehicle is fixed. thank you have a great week

Go figure.

yep

David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

hows it going?

David Craig
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic