Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Air suspension on 2004 Lincoln Navigator is not working, Not…

Air suspension on 2004...

Air suspension on 2004 Lincoln Navigator is not working

Mechanic's Assistant: How has the ride been lately? Have you noticed any fluid under the car?

Not been driven lately - last attempt was late June - no fluid.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Navigator yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. Trying to get it drivable so I can take into mechanic to get proper fix. I have just attempted to reset the air ride suspension with the rocker switch on th back panel. Did nothing.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

We have had issues with Battery draining and I think these are connected potentially. It is barely drivable as both the front and rear suspension is really low and not sure I can make full turns. Looking for a way to manually override this.

Answered in 1 minute by:
8/8/2017
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. I assume the air compressor is not running when the vehicle is started?

Doesn't seem to be. I just switched the rocker switch off - waited 30 seconds - switched back on - nothing.
I am trying to figure out a way to get this "driveable" so I can take to a mechanic or the dealer. Would rather not call a tow service since this is in the mountains 45 miles from civilization in Bozeman, MT.

ok. im going to have you check a couple fuses.

Okay, let me know. This is a car that we leave up here for limited use while we are in MT. So I am not very familiar with this vehicle.

ok

i have figured out where the fuse box is located.
how do i get the cover off? I pulled the first plastic cover off - but now there is a hard cover over the fuse box - says "Pull" on the bottom. But won't come off easy??

what box are you at? in the cabin?

the passenger side
cabin

you just pull it off

got it offnow pull the two fuses and?

see if they are blown

both fuses are fine. Not blown - no damage.

check the other one i sent

No obvious signs of it being blown. Compared it to Fuse 101 and they look identical inside. Assume it would be obviously charred?
next step?

yes. ok, so apparently the compressor isnt working it it maybe do to a hieght sensor or the compressor is bad. there is no override. you can possibly put 12 volts directly to the compressor to pump up the suspension but thats it

Well, I know the compressor isn't working already. That is the problem statement. I already diagnosed this down to the height sensor or the compressor - so that doesn't help me much.
Is there a way to manually override this to get it driveable - that is the question we are working.

no

Okay - so nothing else to try to diagnose? Will need to have it towed?

you can put 12 volts to the compressor to see if it will lift it

How would I do that?

you run a wire from the battery positive post to the comprssors connector

Ouch - sounds like a stretch - will just call a tow service. Thanks for your assistance today. Confirms what our "internet" diagnosis told us.

ok, to find out the problem you would need a FORD IDS scan tool to interrogate the air suspension module to find out the fault

you're welcome. please accept the answer and leave a positive rating for me if you were satisfied with my assistance. even though you accept and rate doesnt mean we are done as i will be with you until the vehicle is fixed. thank you have a great week

Does that mean I need to take it to the dealer or ASK the mechanic if he has such a tool and is a certifed Ford mechanic?

ask the mechanic if he has a scan to that can communicate with the suspension module. I have a feeling its the compressor

David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic
thanks

thank you and please let me know what it turns out to be.