Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a ford ranger edge that needs its computer to reset…

Customer Question
I have a ford...

I have a ford ranger edge that needs its computer to reset how do i do that

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Ranger?

2003

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ranger yourself? What have you tried so far?

I put in a new battery and its been sitting for 3 years but it will not start

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

Nope no corrosion and it has plenty of power

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

There is a theft light that is blinking

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Ford
8/6/2017
Ford Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 11 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Your computer has to have the theft relearn done to resolve this issue here.Unfortunately this usually requires a dealers scan tool to do this as below is the procedure they have to follow on your model here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/56pwt5zxzkpfmvx/se-08-06.gif?dl=0

1. Turn the ignition switch from OFF to RUN.
2. Using the diagnostic tool, follow the SECURITY ACCESS to obtain security access.
3. From the diagnostic tool menu, select IGNITION KEY CODE ERASE.

4. NOTE: Do NOT select any additional commands from this menu.

Turn the ignition switch to OFF and disconnect the diagnostic tool.

5. Insert the first encoded key into the ignition lock cylinder and turn the ignition switch to RUN for three seconds.
6. Insert the second encoded key into the ignition lock cylinder and turn the switch to the RUN position for three seconds.
7. Remove the second encoded key from the ignition lock cylinder.
8. The vehicle should now start with both ignition keys.

Unfortunately there is no manual relearn or reset.In some cases some have claimed that charging up the battery and using lock and unlock on the remote or with the key in the door locking and unlocking it will reset the system so this is something you can try yourself to see if it works.If not then it will need programmed unfortunately.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete