EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician
Experience:  20 years dealership exp., ASE A1-A9 L1 L2, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel Certified
34559540

I have a 2013 ford escape 1.6 I just did the water pump and

Customer Question

Hello I have a 2013 ford escape 1.6 I just did the water pump and timing belt the car throwing a p0340 and p344
Category: Ford
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 2 months ago.

Hi. Welcome to chat! My name is ***** ***** have been a dealer tech for 20 years. I will attempt to assist you with your concern today.

Did you use the tool to hold the camshafts? The tool to lock the crankshaft, since there is no keyway, and the tool to align the crankshaft position sensor?

Please also note that customer satisfaction is my number one goal and rating this chat session 5 stars will keep the chat open for further follow up questions you may have.

CLICK HERE for rating system example.

Please read this:

Understand it's not one answer and done. We can communicate back and forth many times.

1. I am an independent FACTORY DEALER auto mechanic and also work for Just Answer.

2. When you're pleased or happy with my assistance or efforts to help you, at the top of the screen please rate me or reply and say "I'm satisfied".

3. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to follow up.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no I didn't have the tool I marked the pullys but I think it might be off a tooth or 2 I look threw the timing data on my scan tool and the data did look bad. But the spark advance was at 29 degrees which I thought might be high so I was wonder if I should moved the intake cam back a tooth or 2

That is risky. That motor needs the tools to be used. Your timing is defintaly out if you are getting those codes. I would never attempt that repair without the tools. If you want to go and try to adjust the timing thats up to you but you will be lucky if motor damage does not occur.

CLICK HERE for rating system example.

Please read this:

Thanks for using Just Answer.

From the workshop manual: NOTICE: Do not loosen or remove the crankshaft pulley bolt without first installing the special tools. The crankshaft pulley and the crankshaft timing sprocket are not keyed to the crankshaft. Before any repair requiring loosening or removal of the crankshaft pulley bolt, the crankshaft and camshafts must be locked in place by the special service tools, otherwise severe engine damage can occur.

Please also note that customer satisfaction is my number one goal and rating this chat session 3 or more stars will keep the chat open for further follow up questions you may have.

CLICK HERE for rating system example.

Please read this:

Understand it's not one response and done. We can communicate back and forth many times.

3. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to ask follow up questions.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
yea I know the risk but should the spark advance be at 29 degrees?

No it shouldnt. It should be -.5 at hot idle.

CLICK HERE for rating system example.

Please read this:

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok so if its only throwing a code for cam A sensor that would tell me the crank and the exhaust cam is in correct timing right?

That seems correct in theory. Perhaps the computer has just not detected that the crank and exhaust cam are off timing yet. Depends on the computers programmed strategy.

CLICK HERE for rating system example.

Please read this:

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Thank you for viewing my previous response. Please let me know if you have made progress or need more info. Otherwise please take a quick moment to rate my assistance. Thank you.

CLICK HERE for rating system example.

Please read this:

Thanks for using Just Answer.

CLICK HERE for rating system example.

Please read this:

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Please also note that customer satisfaction is my number one goal and rating this chat session 3 or more stars will keep the chat open for further follow up questions you may have. Click here for rating system example.

Please read this: Understand it's not one response and done. We can communicate back and forth many times.

Thanks for using Just Answer.